Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I just recently purchased my first bike. I bought a 2015 Can-am Outlander L 500. I haven't ridden it much because we still have a lot of snow here in NH but I'm very excited for summer. I'm not sure how many mods I'll do to it but that's why I say about all my vehicles and I end up dumping in $$$$.

Any recommendations? I just got the very standard L with no accessories. The only thing I'm planning on right now is a winch and possibly an exhaust.

It was a funny purchase because everyone at the dealer said what I was coming from and I said this is my first.. most of their responses were wow you should buy a Honda or something else to really appreciate a Can-am (sarcastic). Needless to say I'm really excited to hit the trails and spring mud in NH.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Welcome aboard. Good choice on brands. You may want to look at tires as well, stockers are usually not very tough. And Man, are there are a lot of choices there too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Congrats and welcome

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Gratz and welcome

·
Registered
115 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I have
the 450l and also live in NH.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats, welcome to the obsession, now you're in for life.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Ref mods, I strongly suggest skid plates. I've tagged many rocks on the trails here in NH. I wonder how much damage I would have had to pay for if I did not have my plates.

Winch? Yep...sure got some use out of mine a month ago in the snow in Pawtuckaway Park.

All the state trails close for "Mud Season" so they don't get ripped up too much. They'll open up around late May. Hopefully you have or know friends who have trails on their property so you can go nuts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congratulations on your new ATV! As a senior rider with more than 30 years of experience, let me encourage you to find some good riders (with common sense) to ride with. If you get in with the wrong crowd, it's only a matter of time until stupidity happens and it will result in costing $ or worse. Good riding friends will not encourage you to ride outside your skill level. Of all the accidents I have seen over the years, probably 80% fall within the "riding too fast" or "climbing too steep" catagories. That doesn't mean you have to putt around on level trails though, just don't be someones "designated entertainment". There are those that may disagree, but you can have a blast and be safe also. Best wishes and enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forums.

Ref mods, I strongly suggest skid plates. I've tagged many rocks on the trails here in NH. I wonder how much damage I would have had to pay for if I did not have my plates.

Winch? Yep...sure got some use out of mine a month ago in the snow in Pawtuckaway Park.

All the state trails close for "Mud Season" so they don't get ripped up too much. They'll open up around late May. Hopefully you have or know friends who have trails on their property so you can go nuts.
DJ, I didn't know you could ride in Pawtuckaway during the winter months? I'm also from Raymond so I wouldn't mind getting up there either.

My parents live in Nottingham so I have plenty of trails to ride there and I'll be doing plenty of prep work for the hunting season as well so I'll be busy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forums.

I could definitely see purchasing skid plates. Last weekend I already ripped off part of the plastic down near your feet... It happens I guess! :clapsmilie:

·
Registered
466 Posts
DJ, I didn't know you could ride in Pawtuckaway during the winter months? I'm also from Raymond so I wouldn't mind getting up there either.
We're pretty much past the conditions for riding in there now. Once the snow is melting with the temps holding above the freezing mark, they don't want us on the trails.

Here's a link to the park: Pawtuckaway State Park

I hear ya about your plastics damage. If I didn't have my skids, I would have torn them out a few times on rocks or stumps/down trees.

Here's a link to the NH ATV Club's Facebook page (if you do FB): https://www.facebook.com/nhatvclub and their website: http://nhatv.com/

Lots of good info on there for trails and events. Their monthly meeting is tomorrow night, 6:30 at the Fremont Library directly across from the Fremont Trail or Rockingham Trail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're pretty much past the conditions for riding in there now. Once the snow is melting with the temps holding above the freezing mark, they don't want us on the trails.

Here's a link to the park: Pawtuckaway State Park

I hear ya about your plastics damage. If I didn't have my skids, I would have torn them out a few times on rocks or stumps/down trees.

Here's a link to the NH ATV Club's Facebook page (if you do FB): https://www.facebook.com/nhatvclub and their website: New Hampshire ATV Club

Lots of good info on there for trails and events. Their monthly meeting is tomorrow night, 6:30 at the Fremont Library directly across from the Fremont Trail or Rockingham Trail.
Thank you for the information DJ! I will check this out. It would be nice to find some good riding locations near southern NH. I was fearing having to drive up north every time I'd want to ride.

I see in one of your pictures you were on the Rockingham Rec Trail. When can ATV's be riden on this? I can actually drive to the trail right from my house.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I see in one of your pictures you were on the Rockingham Rec Trail. When can ATV's be riden on this? I can actually drive to the trail right from my house.
That one is open year round. ATV's are limited to the 12 mile stretch, Fremont to Derry. Too bad we can't use the trails through Raymond and over to Epping like the snowmobilers.

Riding in the southern end of the state is limited. I spend most of my riding time up north.

Some folks enjoy the Hopkinton/Everett Trails, SW of Concord and south of I89. http://www.nhatv.com/trails-maps.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts