Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and still learning how to use it properly. I am trying to decide between the qsc clutch kit or a whole new QSC primary for my 2008 Outlander XT. .

What results will I notice if I went with the kit and how would that compare to the whole new primary? I keep reading that the kit is just a band aid, but if it adds a significant performance boost above stock and the difference between the kit and the primary is negligible, I would prefer not to spend the extra $500 on the primary. However, I dont want to buy the kit, then spend the extra money on top of that for the primary. Sorry for the ramble.
Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you can come up with the money for a primary do it.. Plus if you decide to sell your outty you can take it off and get within a $100-150 bucks of what you paid for it if not better than that

Now if you are gonna run bigger tires I recommend the QSC primary.. It's hard to take what we can tell you seriously for $800ish + but I know after I got mine it was night and day difference and it has served me well .. And no more belt slippage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you can come up with the money for a primary do it.. Plus if you decide to sell your outty you can take it off and get within a $100-150 bucks of what you paid for it if not better than that

Now if you are gonna run bigger tires I recommend the QSC primary.. It's hard to take what we can tell you seriously for $800ish + but I know after I got mine it was night and day difference and it has served me well .. And no more belt slippage

X2 here I bought a Dalton clutch kit and for me it did stop the smoking belt thing a but it doesn't help at all if you do technical rocky trails that require slow calculated throttle control a clutch kit doesn't help at all with that. I found it made it worse during technical driving because it engages the clutch at a higher rpm. The new QSC I just put in is silky smooth everywhere in throttle curve. If you can afford it go all the way. I always got heated under the collar when people here told me I had to adjust my driving to suit the Can-am clutch which is a load of BS. If Can-am made a proper clutch I should be able to drive like any other quad out there and in my 40 years of driving other brands I've never had to "adjust" my driving to suit the short coming's of machine. Until we all admit Can-am missed it with the clutch design their not going to fix it and anyone buying a Can-am should put aside $1000 for a clutch. I love my Can-am but I had to spend a lot of green to get it to be an all around performer like a Polaris. And I know this first hand cause every other person in my group drives a POPO and all they did was put the exact same Zilla tires on their quad like mine and that's it in 3 years.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
if running stock tires, will an after market primary make any difference?

·
Registered
517 Posts
a kit won't touch a new primary. i will never waste the money on a kit ever again after buying my qsc

·
Registered
632 Posts
if running stock tires, will an after market primary make any difference?
Short answer is Yes. But if you just ride the groomed trails and you don't do technical rides and mud you won't need one. But if your buying a Can-am you probably are pushing harder than the average rider. Slow rocky terrain is the biggest test for the Can-am clutch. It doesn't like slow throttle application which is required for going slow over big rocks. I live in northern Canada and every ride consists of mud, swamps, logging roads and very rocky transition trails so my machine has to do it all without having to shift from low to high every 100 yards. I slowed everyone in the group down because I had to constantly stop and switch from low to high. None of the Polaris' had to do this they just drove and had fun. My extra horsepower didn't mean anything when I had to stop to go ahead when they didn't.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've ran both and like the others said, no comparison between the two, the QSC primary will exceed your expectations, but really it should at 3-4x the cost of a kit. Clutch kits have their place, and I do have experience running them on a 650. I had a Dalton DBO650 kit (great company to deal with) with the tan spring in mine and it ran well and kept my engagement at around 1900rpm which wasnt bad, the throttle response and low end acceleration was improved enough for me to be satisfied with it over the stock set up, and as far as blasting through regular trails and riding mud with the tires I had, I felt it worked great. I live in Eastern Canada and like nonothing we have some of everything as far as terrain goes. We get a lot of washed out rocky/exposed root areas as we get a lot of heavy rainfall and snow melt in the winter, and the slow technical stuff was the weak point with the kit installed, you could feel it wasn't working great when you were trying to feather the throttle through the rough stuff and generated more belt heat and dust. After having run both I feel like the primary is definitely worth the cost, not only for the smoother operation but I personally feel like its the biggest bolt on performance upgrade you can do to a Can-AM, it makes you realize how much better it is than the stock primary after you hit the throttle and it feels like you bolted on 10 horsepower. Whether or not its going to be worth it for YOU all depends on what your planning to do and where/how you ride. You'll rarely find someone on here complaining about how buying a QSC primary was a waste of money, and people come on here and complain about everything, so that should also be a good indicator for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I live in North Carolina and ride primarily hard packed trails, hill climbs, some mud, and I have not run into slow technical riding to speak of (yet anyway). I have 27" bear claw HTRs which are one size up from stock. Heavier, taller and wider than stock. My final question(s): Do you guys think it would be over kill to upgrade to the QSC primary? Would I see the benefit of the additional performance with this type of riding?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Overkill - I would never say it would be overkill, its worth the money if you have it to spend.

Will you reap the benefits with your style of riding? Thats a tough question, only you truly know how you ride. If you ride fast/aggressively and want max low end power and acceleration, smoother operation and better belt life, then yes you will benefit from it. Another benefit to the primary is if you get rid of your 650 itll fit on any other Can-Am with just a weight adjustment. If your more of a leisurely trail rider that just turns it up occasionally a kit will likely fit the bill, save you some cash and help you make up for some of the snap you lost going to the bigger tires. Ultimately its your money, we cant spend it for you, some good opinions in here and really comes down to whether or not you want to spend the cash on the primary, its better in every way. One thing I will say is that your gonna have to be committed to tuning it, Adam will get you close with his set up and help you out, but its likely gonna need some tweaking to get perfect, not many guys running full primarys on G1 650's with trail tires so he may not nail it the first time.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Overkill - I would never say it would be overkill, its worth the money if you have it to spend.

Will you reap the benefits with your style of riding? Thats a tough question, only you truly know how you ride. If you ride fast/aggressively and want max low end power and acceleration, smoother operation and better belt life, then yes you will benefit from it. Another benefit to the primary is if you get rid of your 650 itll fit on any other Can-Am with just a weight adjustment. If your more of a leisurely trail rider that just turns it up occasionally a kit will likely fit the bill, save you some cash and help you make up for some of the snap you lost going to the bigger tires. Ultimately its your money, we cant spend it for you, some good opinions in here and really comes down to whether or not you want to spend the cash on the primary, its better in every way. One thing I will say is that your gonna have to be committed to tuning it, Adam will get you close with his set up and help you out, but its likely gonna need some tweaking to get perfect, not many guys running full primarys on G1 650's with trail tires so he may not nail it the first time.
Does this mean that we would also need to buy a tuner or can the tuning be done with whatever is already on the bike?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help SlimTim. I am going with the primary. Now if I can just get a hold of Adam to order it. I spoke to him earlier this week and be said the primaries were out to mid June. This is cutting it close for my trip to Hatfield and McCoy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Call Performance ATV or 3P they might have one in stock and both can tune them really well and very knowledgeable.. Plus if you need to do some fine tuning they will answer your call and walk you thru it

·
Registered
827 Posts
Russel at 3p has been a lot of help to me lately. I'll be buying mine through him due to the excellent customer service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again guys. You have been very helpful.
Does the QSC primary require a cover spacer and if so, has this been any trouble?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They used to a couple years ago but they dont now at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update guys. I ended up purchasing a CV Tech primary from PATV and did some horse trading for an STM Secondary and added MS17 Elixir wheels with 27" Bearclaw HTRs. Holy Crap!! What difference! I beat my buddies 800 Outtie with a dalton clutch kit on a drag strip every time, if I can keep the front end down. in L the fronts wheels come up instantly. In H the front end will slowly come up if I stay on it.

Thanks for all the advice. BTW, I ended up getting the CV Tech because I couldn't get a response from QSC after about 10 attempts to contact them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts