Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 quadsport lt230S

well, went to suzuki for my stator today, and of course it was the wrong one! I swear, I am never going to be able to ride my quad in the snow. If my quad is running, it won't snow, the second something happens and it needs servicing, it snows!

So the stator was an aftermarket from moose, which was the totaly wrong one. I'm not quite sure what the guy was thinking. Anyone have a moose stator? It says on the web site, a single source coil for ignition which fits on the oem base plate. Which I'm guessing means it's only the ignition coil! I need the lighting coil (i think), and probaly the pickup.

Here's what happened:

riding for an hour no problems. riding for another hour next day, quad shuts off after back firing. Find out theres no spark. Pull off magneto cover, and the lighting coil is like a birds nest! When I fixed the cover from the chain off syndrome I didn't know u had to loctite the 3 nuts that hold the base plate on. They came loose and the stator went bye bye. The primary looked ok (had a ding on magnet), and so does the pickup. The lighting coil was totaly broken off and stuck to the flywheel (magneticly stuck, so I tossed it). It seems there is only 1 wire to the lighting coil.

So, slow me figured I might be able to make the whole thing work w/o buying new parts. I don't have lights or a battery so why do I need a lighting coil? But what to do with that wire that was going to the coil? I tried grounding it to the base plate, but that didn't work. I tried leaving it hang in the middle not touching anything, that didn't work. So after all that I ended up ruining my new gasket, and shifter seal.

So, either it won't create spark without the lighting coil and the primary coil, or my pickup, or primary coil are trash too. The guy in suzuki's service told me that when something like that happens it usually takes the pickup with it, even if it looks fine.

So now my options are order the entire stator for $290 at suzuki, or $206 online. Or buy the parts seperately online, lighting coil $37, Primary $56, Pickup $36. And use my old baseplate, which means I have to de solder, and re solder, and pray.

So more than likely I will be waiting til next paycheck and get the whole stator assembly online and not mess around. Depending of course, on what you guys say. I mean, if I don't need the lighting coil til I get lights, and maybe my primary is ok, I can just spend $36 on the pickup and be in business. I don't know.

Can anyone help? Theres 3-4 inches of snow and my quad is in the garage, bummer.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts