Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Quest 500 that I started having issues with this winter. I am getting oil blow by near my plug recess. It stopped running a month ago so I pulled the coil and had oil pooled in the recess where the plug is, I cleaned the oil, removed the plug, replaced the plug and coil (both new). It ran fine then,
problem started all over again. Oil on engine, oil in the recess, etc. It still runs fine, but at this point, I do not know what to do next. Is this problem fixable? did it happen due to wrong oil used? I thought I installed the oil as recommended by BRP. HELP?
Unit has 500 hours and has only ben used to plow snow and haul firewood around the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get some oil in the air box, but mostly on top of the engine. The oil in the air box is only a thin layer in the bottom.
I want to fix before the problem becomes worse or I get an engine failure. Is this a dealer repair? I am not a mechanic so this is beyond my skill level. I did not see where I could remove the top engine cover easily once the seat was removed.
The one dealer indicated he gets this model in, but they usually leave in a box. I did not get a warm & fuzzy about sending my Quest to that shop. Overall, the quad is in excellent shape and I'd like to keep.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK so not a lot of oil in airbox ......... the engine breather / vent on right side of block has a seal that looses its tension and needs to be replaced on these early CanAm 500 singles do a search there is a thread on how to and part number , not a big job ........so that may be your problem but typically the airbox fills up when the seal goes bad ......... the valve cover is easy to remove just remove plug and the bolts on top, remove cover it has a rubber o-ring type gasket on outer edge don't recall if a seal at spark plug hole but easy to see when you remove VC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts