Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got a hole in my muffler at the back un the bottom, it's annoyingly loud I prefer keep things quiet any suggestions on a replacement or should I just weld a plate on it? I found it kind of loud to begin with stock but maybe that's just me.

2006 400xt max

·
Registered
610 Posts
if it were me i would just weld a patch over it... but i have a welder and everything to do that... If you have to pay for the repair it may be just as expensive to order a new

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I JB welded a patch on as a temp. If fell off of course but I didn't grind it down much. I was going to weld it in September once I'm back in the shop.

Was hoping for another option like use a 800 muffler or something. Not sure if they are bigger.

A buddy came over with his 1000 and wow it was so quite.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,017 Posts
Lots of owners of those older bikes report issues with the factory muffler, and unfortunately, there's not much in the way of "affordable" plug-n-play replacements. I'm aware of some mufflers that Tractor Supply has/sells, that fellas with little 300cc Fourtrax's (like my boys bike) use a lot. Think the model FO-4 or FO-14, one's baffled, ones not, have the right size inlet to weld into place on your bike.

Regardless, there's going to have to be some welding/customization done, I'm afraid. Let us know if you do come across something that's for that application/bolt-on.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
610 Posts
Would take allot of mods to get a 800 or bigger to fit as they are a different design and placement. Would be better off to use the suggestion above and make a replacement. They can be had fairly cheep so if you screw up no huge loss

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just welded mine up yesterday. I did post on it. Took a little time but quiet now. Also had to fix my heat shield mount so no rattle from that either. I had some 4" and 3" exhaust pipe pieces I used for the patches. worked good as they are close to the right arc. Plan on 100% bigger then you think. Once you see a hole, it will be soft around it for quite a ways before finding some solid metal to weld to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts