Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the process of researching, and I was dead set on an outlander 800 xtp. However, thinking about it, I want to do some races. Would I be the odd man out if I were to race with an outlander or should I just get the renegade? I don't mind losing, but I don't want to look like a fool doing it on possibly the only sport utility quad. Or do races even allow sport utility quads?

Sent from the past five days in the future just now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There are tons of people who race outtys, GNCC does for sure

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Only problem is, there aren't any gncc races near me. Many states away is the closest one. Eh. I'll give it more thought of which one I really want. Still have a few more months before I do buy anything.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There are probably some local races, gncc is pretty intense, search around

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know. I keep going back and forth between the 800 and the 1000. I'll probably end up with an outlander 1000 xtp. It's the only one that I can actually test ride without committing to buying it just to test ride it... Well, the outlander 1k XT version at least. But I'll get the xtp for sure. Maybe I'll get the renegade later.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I race a 2013 800XT. And before that a 2011 outlander xxc. Remember you cannot race a 1000 in gncc if you decide to do some. The benefits of the XTP Certainly favor it for racing...shocks,beadllocks.
However if I had it to do over I would have bought the 800 DPS...I ditched the racks and bumpers and winch..so never needed the XT. But if you prefer an out of the box machine go for the XTP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So then 800 for sure then in case any of these gncc races come near enough to me or I decide to do some traveling. Now I just need to decide on an outlander or renegade... I already have a machine dedicated to work. But do I want full on play, or do I want something that I can do work with if need be? So far Im leaning more towards full play, but Im sure Ill change my mind between now and lunch several dozen times...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the same predicament a few years ago when I was shopping for a new quad, while I had no intentions of racing I had a perfectly good quad for work, hunting and camping (Honda 300) but wanted something with some fun factor for day rides and rallies. I was originally going to go with a Renegade but after much thought I decided on a 1K Outty and sell the ol' Honda as I knew it wouldn't get much riding with a 1K begging to be unleashed. What changed my mind was the lack of storage and fender protection of the Renegade, it's nice to be able to carry spare fuel and a cooler. Although rear racks are available for the Gade the real estate is limited and I've always prefered to carry cargo on the front as it tends to be smoother and it leaves the rear free for emergency departures in the event of coming over backwards. Fender protection is very limited on the Gades as well and in racing scenarios I think it would be an asset to have your goggles stay clean. The weight advantages can easily be diminished by removing the racks, bumpers and headlights to make up for said weight advantages. I'm not sure what your work machine is but the Outty makes for a great work horse, I frequently use mine for camping/fishing trips to remote lakes that are only accessible by quads and with real estate being very valuable I use the racks to carry our bulky coolers and use our walking beam tub trailers to carry our inflatable boats and other smaller camp necessities. The power of these Can-ams tow our 1k lbs. plus trailers with relative ease. There has been a few places that my ol' Honda would've winched up and out of but with the Outty it was doable with a little momentum and a lot of throttle. So my recommendation would be sell your current work machine and buy an Outty and as for which model to go with I would say that depends on what your budget is. I went with the XT for the camo color and bumpers and I've been upgrading it as I go. If you're planning on aftermarket shocks like Elkas and if bumpers aren't a necessity than I'd say save a few bucks and go with a DPS and upgrade from there. Winches and shocks are easily added and aftermarket beadlocks are coming down in price or do like I did and buy used stock Renegade beadlocks for next to nothing. The XTP gets you as close to race ready from the factory as possible but I personally don't think the shocks are to race standards but are a good start and like said shocks are easily added and if you're not that serious about racing they may fit your needs perfectly.

Justin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive decided to go with an Outlander 1k XTP. May as well go big or go home. If I feel like racing later down the line when Ive had some experience with ATVs then Ill roll a Renegade. However, it still wont be another year and a half to two years before I buy anything. Decided to pay my current 4 wheeler off before I buy anything else. With that and a truck payment, im already pushing my money to the limits. Rest assured I will have a Can Am eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
I know there are quite a few who like the handling of the outlander better than the Rene. It has less caster and will turn quicker inn tight areas. Rene will turn better at higher speeds like drifting around a turn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts