Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody have one of these and know if they are any good ?

I'd like to find one that mounts just behind the front plastics to be honest..

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was going to buy one and he (the dealer) said that he has NEVER had anyone come in and have to have their radiator replaced because of a stick or rock poking it. He lost a sale that day... but at least he was being honest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am going to be adding one in the spring. I'm hoping that it will limit the amount of shit that gets thrown in there when riding behind other people. Our radiators clog easy so if this helps me from overheating from a clogged radiator in any way i'm game.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have one. Had it installed along with a shit load of other things by the dealer when I bought the bike because all labor was free so I loaded up right from the get go. I like it. Peace of mind thing and it's cheap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
it looks like it would stop rocks and sticks, on the other hand it looks like it will make it a PITA to clean your rad causing more overheating.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's very easy to clean and if you have a gas pressure washer you can get your rad very clean even with this on. I didn't have any overheating issues at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's very easy to clean and if you have a gas pressure washer you can get your rad very clean even with this on. I didn't have any overheating issues at all.
pressure washer to a radiator = bad idea... Even with a pressure washer if you ride water / mud you will not get it clean. The corners will always be packed with mud and with that screen you will be deflecting more water then letting into the rad.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the corners of my radiator are pretty clean. How else would you clean your radiator? A garden hose doesn't work well. Pulling the radiator ever couple rides is a PITA. I've always used pressure washers to clean radiators and never had overheating issues.

Reactions: DaveD

·
Registered
68 Posts
Put it on as soon as the bike was bought. good thing stick up through the winch and the screen deflected it

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's one of the first accessories I put on when I buy a new machine, never had a problem with sticks, rocks mud or anything getting in and around the radiator. I recommend it

·
Registered
164 Posts
the corners of my radiator are pretty clean. How else would you clean your radiator? A garden hose doesn't work well. Pulling the radiator ever couple rides is a PITA. I've always used pressure washers to clean radiators and never had overheating issues.
I guess it depends where and how you ride. I relocate my rads to avoid any issue. To clean your rad good get a foaming ac coil cleaner like nu-brite in a blue can. It gets into the fins, then expands and pushes out dirt and mud. Been using it for years on my atv's but i also use it to clean ac coils. Once you try it you wont go back to using a pressure washer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's one of the first accessories I put on when I buy a new machine, never had a problem with sticks, rocks mud or anything getting in and around the radiator. I recommend it
2020 Outlander 850 XT first week of riding had a stick go up through the front pass side between the tire and plastic deflector. Didn't puncture fortunately but did flatten some of the fins.
Bike is all apart for first Oil change and install of Blue Halo lights, so might just as well install these.
Did you install both or just the pictured?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
2020 Outlander 850 XT first week of riding had a stick go up through the front pass side between the tire and plastic deflector. Didn't puncture fortunately but did flatten some of the fins.
Bike is all apart for first Oil change and install of Blue Halo lights, so might just as well install these.

The picture on the left is a radiator guard for G1 outlanders with the smaller radiator and the picture on the right is for G2 machines. So you only need the one pictured on the right. these are great protection for all machines and should come with every unit off the show room floor.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Something else I have to have now!

I know a guy who knows a guy whos son took his quad for a ride, punctured the radiator somehow, and blew the engine.

Hopefully he taught the kid what coolant smells like after that.

·
Registered
21 Posts

What a job to do this. Have a buddy or Old Lady available to assist with some of the disassembly, reassembly.
Have to disassemble inner fender side panels, rack, bumper, the HUD, two LinkQ front rack support's, Rack, Hood, Plastic Cross member that supports the wiring harness, and unbolt the two lower radiator bolts to GENTLY pry out the rad to get the lower panel nuts in place.
Then reassemble everything.

All in all looks and seems justified.

Rad Pro Resized.jpg

Completion of Blue Halo lights, along with everything mentioned, seat, upper steering wheel panel, exterior side panels needed removed.
I used 1/4" wire loom to protect the wires from end to end along with dielectrict grease at all connection points..

At the end of the day time and patience and a glass or two of Jack Daniel's, when done for the night, is what is required.

Don't forget assistance.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks good!! I am going to do my first service this week. This will also entail cleaning the radiator :D. So its going to be interesting!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess it depends where and how you ride. I relocate my rads to avoid any issue. To clean your rad good get a foaming ac coil cleaner like nu-brite in a blue can. It gets into the fins, then expands and pushes out dirt and mud. Been using it for years on my atv's but i also use it to clean ac coils. Once you try it you wont go back to using a pressure washer.
Where do you buy this? I assume you use the aerosol can and not the gallon jug.

shmoky

1 - 20 of 23 Posts