Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a honda rancher 420 es 4x4. what is the biggest tire i can run on it with a lift, that wont kill the power too much. i was thinking mabey some 28's, mabey outlaws or something of that nature. what mods would i need to keep the power close to the same. (pipe, programmer, air filter, clutch kit, etc. ) any advice would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
afolgers can on backand 30" silverbacks,lol

OR, assuming its an '09 (first year efi? and new tranny/clutch design), i got my doubts you'll find anything available for power mods except an air filter & pipe which probably wont make much difference besides making you're wallet lighter, making more noise,letting more dust in, and losing thequalityof the stainless steel muffler.I'd put 1 size larger tires on and call it a day, if that.

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
I have never run tires that big but I have put some time on the rancher and I dont know what kind of power youre going to have left once you get in the thick stuff. Without momentum I would be worried about not being able to turn them and get myself out.

You could use the folgers can to scoop the mud and water out of your path.

I would stick to 26-27 inch tires with your setup.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I have 27x10x12 Mud lites on both of my Honda 400's. I would not go any larger. I am not sure if the 420 has the Hondamatic trans or not but if it does don't horse it in thick mud. Grin and get a pull. You do not want to pay for replacement/repairs on that trans. Good fun if you take care of it.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I had a 07 420 ES 4x4 and it is a peppy machine. I think it can handle 28's, just don't get in over your head. It's efi engine is a little rich so just add a pipe, and ride.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. this will help me out alot. i am going with hmf pipe, clutch kit, 28" swamplites on 12" itp wheels, 2" lift and going to relocate radiator and snorkel.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Let us know how it turns out and how it handles the mud.

·
Registered
70 Posts
we run 28" skinny's/clutch kit/pcii(cannon tuned)/uni on the wife's bike and it pulls fine. all that's getting ready to change.........bigtime!

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
Well these 420 Ranchers are starting to get my attention again. Might make a great second quad for my wife.

I am wondering what does the clutch kit consist of for the honda type transmissions?

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I really enjoyed it. I kinda think I shouldn't have gotten rid of it. It was fun, light, peppy, just an overall great machine.

The 420 can run right with honda's flagship 680. The 680 will only leave it in the top end (around 52mph).

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
There is one thing I like about modding the 400 class bikes is that you have some larger bore hp numbers with a very light weight machine. It makes for a very very fun ride.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Yeah, that's gonna be one fun bike...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts