Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some questions about the rear cv boot changing (inner) .
First let me start off by saying ive watched most of the youtube videos already.
My questions are :
Can i just take off the wheel on the side im replacing or do i need to undo and pop off both axles?
Do i need to loosen or take off the bottom suspension bolt? Or can i just take the tire off then pop out the axle and replace the cv boot?

How do i put it back in? Rubber mallet and just pop it in? Is there something to line up? The videos don't go over that.
How do they not fall apart when riding if that's all there is?

I've only got 1 car lift and 2 jackstands,so if i need to jack up the rear end to pop out the suspension or something i might need to fight something.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Don't know about a gen 2. On a gen 1: jack up rear of bike. Remove both wheels. Remove both hub nuts. Remove both lower shock bolts. I use a bottle neck jack and a 2 x 4 across (under) the trailing arms for support. Slowly lower the trailing arms and slide the axles out of the arms. Pop axle to be worked on out. I use the strap method. Make your repair. Pop axle back in. It is held in with a cir- clip. Make sure its in good condition or replace. Assemble in reverse order. That's the short of it and the best of my recollection. Extra hands help. There is some patting your head and rubbing your tummy. Make sure the axle is all the way in. Take pics before you start if that helps. Does me. Its not a bad job. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts