Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 outlander max 400 xt. I was going to change the fluid in the differentials. The rear diff. drain plug is inside the frame with only 1/2" room to get an allen wrench in there. Any suggestions? I guess maybe grind down a wrench to make it shorter. I wish that the engineers who designed these machines were required to do some maintainance on them!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I never had to do anything special to my '07 ( should be the same ) .
Remove the CV guard & hitch bracket & you should be able to get an Allen in .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. The '07 must be a little different than the '06. My hitch bracket is not in the way. I removed the CV guard but the drain plug lines up about 1/4" below the top of the main frame member ( which is 1/2" thick ). I will try to take a picture of the situation. Thanks again, Mouldy

I may have to drill a hole in the frame but I really don't want to.
Mine is the 2 up Max so maybe it is built a little different than yours.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The '07 must be a little different than the '06. My hitch bracket is not in the way. I removed the CV guard but the drain plug lines up about 1/4" below the top of the main frame member ( which is 1/2" thick ). I will try to take a picture of the situation. Thanks again, Mouldy

I may have to drill a hole in the frame but I really don't want to.
Mine is the 2 up Max so maybe it is built a little different than yours.
Put up a pic please.

I have never had a problem with yours . Little tight maybe .

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Put up a pic please.

X-2 ^
Did you try to sneak a ball-end Allen in ?
Drilling the frame would be my LAST RESORT .
If all else fails , remove the diff bolts & slip a flat bar between the case & the top of the frame & pry up just enough for access .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Angore, Good idea. I will try taking out the bolts and prying it up a little. I only need about 3/8". Thanks for your help. Mouldy

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Angore, Good idea. I will try taking out the bolts and prying it up a little. I only need about 3/8". Thanks for your help. Mouldy
Let us know how she goes .
The bolts that hold it to the frame should be enough .
I'd loosen the ones on top but not remove them completely , this should give you enough room to tweak it just enough .

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm assuming your using an Allen socket? They make different length configurations for different applications. I've got sets ranging from about an inch and a half long to 6 inch long allensbin 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets. Also, sometimes the steel plugs in aluminum diff housing will seize up, a little heat around the plug (not on the plug) will loosen it up and allow it to spin right out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey !! Mission accomplished !! I removed the upper and lower rear bolts that hold the differential and loosened the front one and was able to pry the hitch assy' etc down far enough to get to the plug. I bought a 3/8" drive X 3/16 allen & used penetrating oil and it came right out. What a mess! no where for it to drain except on top of the frame member. I'll let it seep for a day and it should be fairly dry. Thanks again for all of your help, Mouldy

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
no where for it to drain except on top of the frame member. I'll let it seep for a day and it should be fairly dry. Thanks again for all of your help, Mouldy
Next time , form a little chute out of aluminum foil & direct the lube into a catch pan .

Congrats !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts