Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was water wheeling through a pond and heard a loud pop and now whenever you drive it she makes a popping noise coming from somewhere in the back. I'm pretty sure it's the rear diff but could it be a transmission. Just want to be 100% sure before I spend a bunch of money fixing something that's not the problem. Also should I Just replace the whole diff or would it be cheaper just to replace the gears inside of it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
An axle maybe? If the diff is toast either upgrade to an xmr diff or check out mud n wheels on facebook, he seems to have a pretty bullet proof setup from what I see

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it might be an axle but I've had bad axles on other vehicles and they just make a popping noise this you can actually feel it binding up and in some scenarios it wouldn't even roll. I'm contemplating selling after I fix this so I doubt I'll get an upgraded diff. Unless hall think it would upgrade the value/sale

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine did that and it was the R axle.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Pop the axle out and see if the joint is OK.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Driveshaft and/or U joints ok?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driveshaft and/or U joints ok?
Not real sure. It kinda sounds like it's coming from the U joint though. Ima start taking it apart later today. But ima go ahead and ask if it is the diff would an 09 renegade diff work

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I've found its the 10-tooth pinion gear in the front of the diff. Think Ima try and replace it. Anybody know where I can get oem parts with fast shipping? Also how do I get it out. It looks like there some kind of weird nut in front of it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No it's a grinding noise. It's definitely the pinion gear because it's missing half its teeth. I was gonna buy a used diff but they sold before I could get my hands one one of them (I found two) then I found a diff on powersports nation from an 03 400 that looks pretty similar and I am just checking to make sure it would work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts