Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run tracks in the winter. I have gotten myself into some very deep powder conditions. having tracks will definitely tempt one to try and venture beyond what is probably passable. I noticed every time I did get stuck, I was usually in a position where a rear winch was needed. After some research I found a device called Reverse-a-roller. It's a simple device that allows for the winch line to be run underneath the atv. A redirect. Neat but not what I was looking for. I want maximum pulling power so I decided to build a hitch mount. The hitch mounts I saw online weren't sleek and low-pro enough. So I built a custom one.

The winch I went with is a Warn ProVantage 4500 lb. For some reason Amazon had it at $150 cheaper than the 3500 so I opted for the bigger winch. That meant needing a larger battery. Thank you for all who have posted on here about what would fit as a stock replacement. It lead me to find Odyssey.

After some measuring I ordered an Odyssey 925L. It was a bit frustrating to find out that the 925 is literally 1/8" to wide to fit between the seat frame rails. I said fuck it and spun it to the side, chopped some wiring and built some new wiring (used all tinned copper marine grade with heat shrink on the ends). I had to build a new battery tray to hold it in.

I'll get some better pictures that details the work but figured I'd share what I've got so far. If anyone has questions about the install please feel free to message me or a leave comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awesome idea!

·
Registered
738 Posts
if you get into much mud they arent going to last long down there, your contactor especially has to be up and out of the crap. thats why i keep mine in the box and made 2inch receiver mounts for the front and back, they will end up full of silt and stuff and wont work when you really need it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way ahead of you. All the wires and terminals are sealed and hit with some rustoleum Never Wet. The solenoid has terminal boots packed with dielectric grease.

Mud has never been an issue for me. It's the deep deep powder that gets me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do have any pictures of the plate/mount that you made before you bolted on the winch? I'd like to something similar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know if this helps paint a better picture of how I made it. I didn't want to break the bolts loose and remove the winch from the mountain plate because they're holding strong with loctite.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's great . Thanks for taking the pics, I got the idea now. Cheers. How's the angle for winching in reverse? Have you used it under heavy load yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts