Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am mulling over installing a rear winch on my Outlander 1000. Any comments or suggestions? Is it worth it, or no? Anyone know of any good winch mounts for the back of the bike?

(I searched the forum to no avail on this topic. If there is a good thread going already it would be great if someone would post the link here)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Well, sometimes it makes sense, that the easiest way to winch yourself out of a hole is back through the way you came in. The problem with that is your back where you started, and if you have to get through there, you just have to try again. On the other hand, the Outlander 1000 does not have a good place to mount a rear winch, so you would have to fabricate a plate to hold it and it would end up being pretty exposed. When I had my Outlander 1000xt I don't remember ever getting stuck that I would have preferred winching myself backwards (just saying...).

Reactions: ThePCSurgeon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

I wound up going with an Iron Baltic rear winch mount. Installed it myself and have to say that I wouldn't tackle it again. I am not mechanic, and it took quite a while. Soldering wires, dismantling quad unnecessarily, etc. For example here is a pic of what my brand new outlander looked like after two days of work.

I decided it would look neat to install the mini rocker switch in tandem with the original, as they are both the same model. I purchased some longer bolts that matches the originals, dremmeled part of the lower switch off, and sandwiched them together.

One problem was where to mount the switch. I could have gone under the seat but I decided on the rear storage box as it seemed to most protected option.

Here it is all buttoned up. Feel free to email me if anyone is thinking of the same thing and wants to avoid my mistakes. I did a lot of work I needn't have, and there are some good videos I can recommend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello All,

I wound up going with an Iron Baltic rear winch mount. Installed it myself and have to say that I wouldn't tackle it again. I am not mechanic, and it took quite a while. Soldering wires, dismantling quad unnecessarily, etc. For example here is a pic of what my brand new outlander looked like after two days of work.

I decided it would look neat to install the mini rocker switch in tandem with the original, as they are both the same model. I purchased some longer bolts that matches the originals, dremmeled part of the lower switch off, and sandwiched them together.

One problem was where to mount the switch. I could have gone under the seat but I decided on the rear storage box as it seemed to most protected option.

Here it is all buttoned up. Feel free to email me if anyone is thinking of the same thing and wants to avoid my mistakes. I did a lot of work I needn't have, and there are some good videos I can recommend.

Nice I was trying to find someone that installed a winch in rear, I ordered the iron Baltic mount just waiting for it, I was thinking would it avoid alot of disassembly if I went with a wireless remote winch and just avoided mounting the in/out switch on handlebars. I bet u love having that winch in rear with tracks, I have a 2020 outlander max xt on tracks and am looking forward to having the winch in the rear to get me out of a stuck, countless times I had a buddy pull me out from the back because I couldnt get out going forward. Any more tips before I tackle this would be much apprieciated.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That's gonna be a stretch getting to that switch... never understood a rear winch... iv done lots of winching and have never needed one in the back.. to each their own..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello All,

I am mulling over installing a rear winch on my Outlander 1000. Any comments or suggestions? Is it worth it, or no? Anyone know of any good winch mounts for the back of the bike?

(I searched the forum to no avail on this topic. If there is a good thread going already it would be great if someone would post the link here)
The best way to not get stuck is to think about what you are driving yourself into. If it looks bad, then don't do it.

I occasionally watch the 4x4, Quad, snowmobile videos, and it is ALL about getting stuck and getting out. There was one video, and possibly 100s more just like it, where the group would purposely choose to drive into a deep nasty mud pit, and one after another they would get stuck, and had to do some sort of rescue. If one didn't get stuck he would circle around and try to get stuck. This mud pit was right next to a completely dry path. I mean, REALLY?

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,364 Posts
The best way to not get stuck is to think about what you are driving yourself into. If it looks bad, then don't do it.

I occasionally watch the 4x4, Quad, snowmobile videos, and it is ALL about getting stuck and getting out. There was one video, and possibly 100s more just like it, where the group would purposely choose to drive into a deep nasty mud pit, and one after another they would get stuck, and had to do some sort of rescue. If one didn't get stuck he would circle around and try to get stuck. This mud pit was right next to a completely dry path. I mean, REALLY?
It is just another form of fun. Many like it for bragging rights of how suck they were and the enginuity it took to get out. I have lived in places where there was nothing but a mud hole. This is why the mud boggers jack up pickup trucks and use tractor tires and find a giant mud pit in someone's field. It is for fun.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It is just another form of fun. Many like it for bragging rights of how suck they were and the enginuity it took to get out. I have lived in places where there was nothing but a mud hole. This is why the mud boggers jack up pickup trucks and use tractor tires and find a giant mud pit in someone's field. It is for fun.
And some people think drinking themselves blind is fun. I've also seen videos where people hang themselves from meat hooks thru their pecs and deltoids. Yeah, that's fun too.

I have been stuck twice by accident, for real, and was thankful to get out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A rear winch is a useful tool, especially for utility purposes with the tracks on. Whether its for a fast hookup to quickly pull someone out, providing a rear anchor to winch someone out using the front winch, or winching yourself backwards after sinking the front end to china.

Lots of times with the tracks, your either by yourself or are with machines that lack the capability to pull you out. Sometimes rearwards is the only option, but most times a rear winch is useful is when snow or ice is involved.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,364 Posts
And some people think drinking themselves blind is fun. I've also seen videos where people hang themselves from meat hooks thru their pecs and deltoids. Yeah, that's fun too.

I have been stuck twice by accident, for real, and was thankful to get out.
People are different. What one may find fun, others may find repulsive. I am just glad we are not all the same or life would be boring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well did the install of a new 3500 pound winch on rear, was quick and easy install, I didnt use the wired control because the 2 wireless remotes I figured would be enough and I just leave them in the glove box in rear. Now for the testing I know there has been a few times where if I didnt have my riding buddy to pull me out , I would have been stranded so this will just give me more options if I out with just my kids or myself.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Crankset Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
413 Posts
Did you end up making the bracket to mount the winch? That's a nice clean install!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

might you have your normal tires on without tracks does your winch stick out further than your rear tires? I do rock trails and can’t have it sticking out farther than the tires for when my rear end drops down of a rock. That mounts to the diff and think it would eventually crack it if it’s slamming down on the winch bracket.

if the tires are the furthest rear point then i think I’d be fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts