Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a reciever hitch for my outlander and install a 2 inch ball on it. What I need to know is will the one from my truck fit? Will the holes match up for the pin without the reciever hitch hitting the back of the diff. ?

What are you guys doing...buying specially made reciever hitches or just the run of the mill truck ready 2 inch recievers available in most auto stores?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I got mine at Canadian Tire on sale. Just a regular truck hitch.
The truck hitch will hit the diff. I cut about 2 inches off the end of the hitch. Pin lines up and it doesn't hit the diff.
Take a few measurements with a tape measure and you'll know how much to cut off. I used a grinder with a zipcut. Easy to do, about 5 mins, a little black paint and good as new . You can get the hitch/ball for about $20 on sale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same here, don't waste your money on the CA one they want like $70 for it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I bought a receiver on Fleabay that has a ball mount, a pin hitch hole and a hook all on different sides of the square tubing, so you just rotate it depending on what type of hitch your trailer needs. Works great!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Here is how I built my receiver for bike. Used 1-1/4 Square tube. The receiver is welded on top of the hitch that is on the bike. The 1-1/4 has a rating of 2,000 lb. This kept it high so it does not hang up. Also welded a 1" peace of 1-1/2 tube on the end of the 1-1/4 to beef it up a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got mine at Canadian Tire on sale. Just a regular truck hitch.
The truck hitch will hit the diff. I cut about 2 inches off the end of the hitch. Pin lines up and it doesn't hit the diff.
Take a few measurements with a tape measure and you'll know how much to cut off. I used a grinder with a zipcut. Easy to do, about 5 mins, a little black paint and good as new . You can get the hitch/ball for about $20 on sale.
X2 on cutting it so it doesn't hit the dif,holes lined right up

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great idea outlaw, now why didn't I think of that

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought a Kolpin mount off ebay for about $30.00. What I like about it that it has a ball mount and pin hole. You don't have to remove the ball to hook up a small lawn and garden cart. Fit and finish seem pretty decent also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi walleyeman. You can get that particular hitch at Princess Auto in Canada. They have a bunch of options as they have an isle devoted to hitch and towing. Right next their atv accessories department :) I got a 2" & 1 7/8" combo there that fit perfect and is on sale now. I also picked up a shackle that fits in the receiver. Good deals there, take a look. Online and in store.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pintle-Hooks/Class-IV-3-4-in-Tow-Shackle/8386088.p

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en//Class-III-2-x-3-4-Dual-Ball-Mount/8493058.p

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Ball-Mounts/Class-II-III-IV-Tri-Ball-Trailer-Hitch/8182222.p

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
Like others I used a regular drawbar because I already have a few laying around collecting dust and rust. Trying to take the easier route, at first I just cut it down so the pin hole lined up without hitting the diff but it sticks out way too far like this so I ended up cutting it down again (cut past the original hole) and drilling a new hole so it sits tight to the end of the receiver ... it gets caught up much less this way and the tongue weight is sitting where it's supposed to be.
Of course if you have to buy a new one anyway, just buy the proper piece. The atv drawbars are MUCH lighter to carry around.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got mine at princess auto, cut the shafts of both balls down do so I could get the nuts inside the tubing and attach both balls

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just took a standard hitch and took a chop saw and cut it as short as I could before the receiver hit the drop section. Then I put it in the quad and drilled a new hole for the pin. Worked perfect and now it dosent stick out and look goofy. Looks better then the CA one and was 1/3 the price. Can add pics if you would like.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use this, it fits perfectly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts