Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires would you guys recommend for my 2013 Canam Renegade 500? I have a few picked out but need to get it narrowed down. I need a tire that is going to give me some confidence going into a deep hole or a thick patch. The tires will be going onto a set of 14x7 MSA M12 Diesel's. I will also be running a QSC adjustable clutch kit. I do all of my riding up at Chitek Lake, Saskatchewan. We do very little trail riding, a lot of water riding with sandy/clay/silty bottoms. Deep ruts. Some muskeg but nothing extreme. I am not worried about ride quality and i'd be ok with having to trim to fit. The more ground clearance the better but don't wanna get into a lift. I would like to go with skinny's all the way around. Not only cause i like the look but want to keep the weight down seeing as i only have the 500. Here's the list of tires I am between right now:
30x8x14 Interco Interforce AG ATV Tires
30x9x14 Silverback's
31x9.5x14 Outlaw's
I know guys that run 29.5 outlaws on their 500 gade so should be able to get away with a tires that's around 40 lbs with some clutch work. I know this question probably comes up alot and i really appreciate your time and input.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Take the interco tires off the list. They will not do your riding style much good. They are tractor tires. Tractor tires are meant to crawl slow and steady through minor amounts of mud. I could see them being great in ruts. No side lug and they ride horrible. Thumbs down in my book. I love my 30x9 backs on the other hand. I've only been stuck once. Bottomless sandy creek bottom. Would love to try a set of 31" laws. But very expensive and won't fit so well on my outty. Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
30" zillas? 29.5 swamplites?

·
Registered
518 Posts
for sasky riding you can't go wrong with a set of silverbacks or outlaws. they both rock in our blammin muskeg and mud. however, if it were me i'd look at 28's instead of 30's to shave a little poundage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya im taking the interforces off the list. They dont look as narly of a tire and really dont have any side lug at all, that i need for the deep ruts. So I'm sittin between 30" backs or 31" laws. In your guys honest opinion if i got a QSC Adjustable clutch kit would my 500cc renegade turn a 31" tire?

·
Registered
518 Posts
not as well as a 28" which is why i tried to direct you that way

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would recommend 29.5" OL2's. About the smoothest ride and best performing you can get from a tire like this. Silverbacks would be my 2nd choice mainly because they ride just a little rougher than OL2 and to me they seem to break axles faster.
Thats just my 2 pennies.

I test fitted a set of the 29.5s the other day before I ordered mine, and they just barely fit. I definitely can't see anything bigger fitting unless you're lifting it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only way I could get a 28" to fit on my 14" rims would be to go with ol2's. A 28" ol2 weighs the same amount as a 31" original law. Not a big fan of the ol2 a little too much lug for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think outlaw 2's pull your bike down much more than the others. I've had 30" silverbacks, 29.5 outlaw 2's, and 31" oulaws and for where I ride 31's are by far my favorite. They are also quite a bit lighter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's my clearance on my Renny 1k with the 30" backs. This is the back of the floor board. I've never had it hit, even with new and Mt gf on it, but did have to cut the outer lip off the footwell that was hitting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my clearance on my Renny 1k with the 30" backs. This is the back of the floor board. I've never had it hit, even with new and Mt gf on it, but did have to cut the outer lip off the footwell that was hitting.

Do you have a front shot of where you trimmed the footwell?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't have an exact measurement but this should give you an idea. Its a pretty good amount considering there isn't any additional lift, just the springs turned up

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanx man. Yea it does pretty good, i can't wait till VFJ comes out with his clutch for these. It'll be a cheaper alternative to the QSC. Right now my clutching is bone stock save for a moose belt i had to put on after my stocky came apart.

I should add and recommend anybody that isn't a hardcore mud rider that only sees mud with they're machine, if you get a set of backs or laws spend the extra coin and get a backup set of cheap tires/wheels. Its Soooooo nice being able to take these heavy things off and put my Lil mudlites on stock rims back on to go leisure around. They're easier to drive, steer, and more comfortable even tho they don't look nearly as cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 500 Renegade has more power than my Rincon. I think it has 10hp more. I am running 31s skinny on my Rincon. And it does great. So what am I missing?? Why would a 500 Gade be miserable on 39lb 31" inch tires?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts