Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have had my 08 Renegade 800 for about a year now and I love it, great bike, wouldn't sell for anything. However the past few months the bike has been displaying a "Check Engine" message on the display, and I figured out it was because the cooling fan was not turning on. So far I have replaced the fan relay and temp sensor, but I still get the message randomly a few times a day. The bike has been running great lately, but what could the issue be? Thanks guys. BTW I was thinking there could possibly be a bad/loose connection somewhere within the wiring?

·
Registered
410 Posts
My first thought would be the temp sensor but since you've changed that already. Next step is when the check engine light tiggers pull the code from the ecu. That will give you the best idea of what is going on, if you need to know how to pull the code just ask

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought would be the temp sensor but since you've changed that already. Next step is when the check engine light tiggers pull the code from the ecu. That will give you the best idea of what is going on, if you need to know how to pull the code just ask
How do I pull the code??? lol Can I do it without the computer and/or bringing it to the dealer?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ya it's pretty simple, may take a couple tries is all.
Once the bike triggers limp home and the check engine light appears use the mode button on your speedo to scroll to the total engine hours, once there hold the mode button down and flick between low beam and high beam 2 to 3 times, any active codes will display across the bottom of you're speedo. Try to do the above sequence fairly quickly. Post back once you've got the code

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya it's pretty simple, may take a couple tries is all.
Once the bike triggers limp home and the check engine light appears use the mode button on your speedo to scroll to the total engine hours, once there hold the mode button down and flick between low beam and high beam 2 to 3 times, any active codes will display across the bottom of you're speedo. Try to do the above sequence fairly quickly. Post back once you've got the code
Thanks alot man. Will definitely post back to you if the light comes on again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
One other thing to try is to turn your key on and power up the electronics. Disconnect your coolant temp sensor, within a few seconds the bike should go into limp mode and your fan should kick in. This will verify that your fan is working as it should.

·
Registered
948 Posts
make sure radiator is thoroughly cleaned after each ride and no air in system, after a couple of limp home modes I had to clean it and had to remove the rad to get in behind it to clean the dirt that had harden and blocked flow of air

Reactions: 33147
1 - 7 of 7 Posts