Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with my renny blowing the main fuse back by the voltage regulator (30 amp) as well as a host of other electrical issues, check engine lights , low battery warnings, limp home modes, occasionally cutting out under power for a second or so, dim or flickering headlights etc.

long story short, this is what I found under the fuse panel :

To check it out just remove the airbox console cover , and the center pod ( with the display in it) use a small flat screwdriver to pop out the lock tabs on the ends of the fuse panel, and slide the whole fuse panel up off the mounts , tip it back , and check out the wires.

I have put several coats of brush on elec tape ( can am appears to have used some sort of tape on other similar wiring connections) on the connection , and I used some thin rubber from an old inner tube to keep things from rubbing through later.

I put on 112 kms yesterday without one single issue :yahoo:

:th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
good find. I will check mine next time I have it opened up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem? I was out riding this weekend and lost all power and one of the amp fuses in the back keeps blowing. Everytime i put a new one it and turn the key on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yep exact same thing happened to me out in the trails and the dam fuse would pop. finally found the same dam problem, crapy tape separating the wire from the frame ,it eventally wore and u could see were it was shorting out.(burn marks on frime and worn cable) wires r supper tight under their. rewpaped it and put plastic strip on the frame. no more problems. The way it is set up i cant believe it has not happened to every rene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am about to go rip it apart again. I put it back together yesterday afternoon saying screw it i was going to take it to the dealer. But for something small i would rather to it myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep that is exactly what it was. Got it fixed and rolling again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just so everyone knows, this was on my 07 800 renegade, not my 1000. With that said, I am glad this post is helping some people. I was so aggravated with mine blowing fuses, cutting out, etc that I was ready to just sell it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah i was pretty upset I bought mine the weekend before and then this happens. And its an 08.

·
Registered
68 Posts
that burnt mess almost looked like a fusable link. i shorted out my main 5 amp fuse when my tail light wires touched, got a new assembly now. hate it when shit don't work. only sound i heard from the bike was the fuel pump. thought i seriously screwed up my bike!

·
Registered
46 Posts
M-i-c...

This deserves a bump. Checked mine and couldn't believe how un-professional this connection is. Wonder how many other places to check? One downfall..many advantages...not bad CanAm.

I have been having trouble with my renny blowing the main fuse back by the voltage regulator (30 amp) as well as a host of other electrical issues, check engine lights , low battery warnings, limp home modes, occasionally cutting out under power for a second or so, dim or flickering headlights etc.

To check it out just remove the airbox console cover , and the center pod ( with the display in it) use a small flat screwdriver to pop out the lock tabs on the ends of the fuse panel, and slide the whole fuse panel up off the mounts , tip it back , and check out the wires.

I have put several coats of brush on elec tape ( can am appears to have used some sort of tape on other similar wiring connections) on the connection , and I used some thin rubber from an old inner tube to keep things from rubbing through later.

I put on 112 kms yesterday without one single issue :yahoo:

:th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts

but I can't see the pictures! Can u help?

thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread made a difficult job easy. Exact same problem on my 2007 Renegade 500. We have two other Renegades that I will fix preemptively! Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't see any pics and I'm having the same problem right now no power to anything unless I jump the r1 relay and mo it's not a bad relay iv tried new ones multiple

1 - 16 of 16 Posts