Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2013 Renegade 800XXC and am looking for some sort of radiator guard for it. Are there any out there made for it because I can't seem to find one. Anything that might fit this wheeler? Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I took one from a Commander and cut it down. it fits pretty good and was easy to do. It just took some playing around and cutting.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Made my own out of some expanded mesh and some 18 gauge sheet metal (for the brackets).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Radiator Guard

I really like the custom radiator guard you made and would like to do it myself. I have a 2013 renegade 1000. I can see the part of the brackets that bolt to the holes on the radiator but I am still wondering how the other side of the bracket attaches to the radiator guard. Would also like to know how the radiator guard is cut (dimensions) and if any of the bike front end had to be disassembled to install the guard. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012-up Renegade 800r,1000 (p#715001744) perfect fit.
I got one.
You can order it from Brp.store or go to any can am dealer and order one.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
How strong is that oem protector?
Looks like any old thin screen I can buy at sears hardware .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
How strong is that oem protector?
Looks like any old thin screen I can buy at sears hardware .
It's pretty heavy. I do a lot of bush bashin and no holes yet. (mine is the Commander one....in 2012, there was no part number for a Renny-specific one)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think I might be making my own after doing some reading on mud and over heating. Maybe oem should've made it with larger holes?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Im still wondering if there's alot of people over heating with the commander guard

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Im still wondering if there's alot of people over heating with the commander guard

Nope. Ran it for 4 years on the 2012, put the "real one" on my 2016. The tip is: space the bottom of it away from the rad about 1/2 inch...lets the crap that sifts through, drop out. The Commander one was bolted flush to the rad top and bottom....I spaced it myself after seeing pine needles trapped between the screen and the rad. The "real one" I put on my 16 comes with a spacer already. Another thing I do is trim some plastic on the sides to A) allow water to flow away from the rad area faster, and B) allow easier cleaning of the rad. (mostly B)

I ran rad-relocated machines in the past and now 5 years on Rennys with no relocate with no overheating issues. I ride with guys with no screens and with....the no-screen boys always have plugged up rads. Now, not saying I've never had a real nasty rad, but they always get me back. (see my most recent mud vid....all that crawling around in 4' of soupy goop gets into everything...I spent 15 min at the next waterin hole with a super-soaker getting the rad 1/2 arsed clean before continuing on, but so did everyone else)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
DaveB thanks man for the awesome reply!
Ok cool , so I'll order a commander screen and make sure I have enough spacing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought the one can am sells in their accessories. A buddy of mine made his own and it ended up cutting his radiator. I spend the $60 for one that fits like it should have came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Just to note: a screen isn't as good as a rad relocate, but it does keep a lot of crap out of the rad and with normal cleaning you can stay on top of things. I don't like the looks of rad relocates on Rennys, so this is what I've been running.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree,,, it's way to steep and tall. Looks rediculous. I'm sure it's 100 times better though if what you do is swamp but for mostly trail riding I'll pass on that.
I wonder how the home made guard went through the radiator? ? I just can't get over the fact that a $10 piece of metal screen is $65!!
Hard to click buy when I'm looking at it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts