Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 renegade 800

starts and the belt squeals, won’t move unless I give it a small push and rides till I stop again. If I am on flat land it’ll move real slow till it catches and rides perfect no noises.

swapped primary’s, swapped belts, swapped secondary’s. Issue follows. Hard to say it’s the trans cause it rides perfect if I give it a push.
Problem follows in 2wd/4

bike rolls freely in neutral

Fresh fluids, secondary helix etc is lined up like it should be. No springs broken. New belt.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,644 Posts
Welcome to the site

Wow- this makes NO sense, intriguing.....

I also can't point fingers anywhere but the belt box..... the transmission is just straight-cut gears, it's either going to work or it's not (does this in all gears? Reverse/low/high?). Likewise, doing it in 4wd rules out stripped teeth on the rear diff ring gear.....

Can you take a video of the clutches working, with the belt box cover off? Engine running, throttle up/down, in other words. There are some vids on youtube you could compare yours to, maybe something obvious jumps out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can you post a video of the clutch working if you're in neutral? Could help pinpoint the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the site

I also can't point fingers anywhere but the belt box..... the transmission is just straight-cut gears, it's either going to work or it's not (does this in all gears? Reverse/low/high?). Likewise, doing it in 4wd rules out stripped teeth on the rear diff ring gear.....

Can you take a video of the clutches working, with the belt box cover off? Engine running, throttle up/down, in other words. There are some vids on youtube you could compare yours to, maybe something obvious jumps out.
Yes does it in all gears. My mechanic told me maybe a bearing in the trans or something but it’s hard to believe cause it rolls freely and will ride perfect once rolling.
Can you post a video of the clutch working if you're in neutral? Could help pinpoint the issue.
Welcome to the site

how can I upload the video?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,644 Posts
Throw it on youtube and share the link here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the site

·
Registered
810 Posts
That secondary pulley seems to be bloody stiff. Could be a seized bearing in there. Recommend taking both clutches off and a good cleaning, check over and grease one way.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,644 Posts
The hell.... why would a rubber on aluminum contact sound like a metal on metal? Are you sure that trans input shaft bearings alright?

And when you're throttling it to move, why isn't that primary pulling in further? Sure sounds like a lot of rpm for not a lot of grip from the primary, unless the secondary dragging is to blame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have taken them off. Cleaned, tried different secondary’s etc. shaft spins freely once secondary is off.
The hell.... why would a rubber on aluminum contact sound like a metal on metal? Are you sure that trans input shaft bearings alright?

And when you're throttling it to move, why isn't that primary pulling in further? Sure sounds like a lot of rpm for not a lot of grip from the primary, unless the secondary dragging is to blame.
No clue. That’s why I’m looking for input.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How long have you had the bike and when did this start happening? Was it all of sudden or has it progressive gotten worse over time?

Do you have any weights missing or broken in your primary? Is your primary spring weak or broken? Your primary is engaging late and when it does the belts squealing like it's been stretched. I'd pull off the primary and inspect it thoroughly, clean sheaves with scotchbrite and inspect spring too. If springs good I'd put a new belt on it and try again.

I can hear an unusual noise so it could be the gearbox internals. Could be a few broken teeth on one of the gears that turns the input shaft. Once you have momentum the strain to turn that shaft significantly decreases. Unfortunately I think that's the issue and the cause of the noise. Also it's why you can push it in neutral as it's not binding anything it's actually making it easier to push due to the decrease in resistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts