Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just heard from one of the boys here who owns one of the first xxc models in the u.k...just been recalled due to dangerous power steering..been told from his dealer to pull the fuse out on the power steering untill part arrives to sort it...anyone in the usa heard of this fault

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nope..and didn't see anything on BRPs UK site....

·
Registered
752 Posts
Any idea what the issue is supposed to be? Only kind of safety thing I can think of that pulling a fuse would help would be a short...haven't heard of any complaints at all with the DPS.....

·
Registered
752 Posts
the u.k site never has put any recalls up..just checked under archives
Ok..wasn't sure about BRP...I know Polaris lists their recalls under the press releases section.
Unless there is something different about the PS on the UK model? If the UK had a recall you would think the US would as well..nothing on the CPSC website...no US recall.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok..wasn't sure about BRP...I know Polaris lists their recalls under the press releases section.
Unless there is something different about the PS on the UK model? If the UK had a recall you would think the US would as well..nothing on the CPSC website...no US recall.
will post once i know whats up

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
got a couple hundred miles on my 2010 max xt-p 800, no issues, power-steering works fine, all though i thought it was alittle funky, changing the setting, with the combination reverse over-ride button, i've had no issues, but think a separate switch would have been better, if ya get some crud in there, wonder if it's gonna get a mind of its own ? not saying this is the issue, just something to wonder about if your a real mudder.

·
Registered
752 Posts
got a couple hundred miles on my 2010 max xt-p 800, no issues, power-steering works fine, all though i thought it was alittle funky, changing the setting, with the combination reverse over-ride button, i've had no issues, but think a separate switch would have been better, if ya get some crud in there, wonder if it's gonna get a mind of its own ? not saying this is the issue, just something to wonder about if your a real mudder.
How would a separate switch be any more impervious to "crud"?
Just curious...I think combining it with the rev override is fine..look at it on the flip side..it cuts down on the need for another switch which could fail...
Add a switch for every little function and pretty soon you have what would look like the cock pit of an aircraft...jmo

·
Registered
354 Posts

I've got over 1000 miles on my 800 xt now and I don't ever switch it from the DPS max setting. I tried min a few times when it was new but didn't see any benefit to it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
How would a separate switch be any more impervious to "crud"?
Just curious...I think combining it with the rev override is fine..look at it on the flip side..it cuts down on the need for another switch which could fail...
Add a switch for every little function and pretty soon you have what would look like the cock pit of an aircraft...jmo
i hear ya, just my reverse over-ide, on my 07 800, got water and crud in it, not sealed very well, but could solve that with some dielectic grease, my 4x4 switch the same, thought if the adjustement was on the pod, would be protected from crud, but then, not as easy to adjust on the fly. i ain't no engineer, just a " bleacher bum". i'm lovin this thing, took my 07 800 xt, for alittle spin in my dirt parking lot, was amazed how hard it steers compared to the xt-p, night and day difference. i am gonna stealth snorkel my cvt-exhaust, not really cured of the mudding problem i got.:clapsmilie:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

I've got over 1000 miles on my 800 xt now and I don't ever switch it from the DPS max setting. I tried min a few times when it was new but didn't see any benefit to it.
same here, i leave it on max setting, was doin 60 mph, down a road, straight as a arrow, no twitchyness, or weaving, but i'm also runnin stock acts.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I leave mine on Max as well 99% of the time...but when riding fast for extended periods the Min is nice...it doesn't feel unsafe at speed on Max...just TOO easy,Min feels better at high speeds.:smilietwocents:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Maybe there is different setup because they ride on the left side of the road :yahoo:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Maybe there is different setup because they ride on the left side of the road :yahoo:
too funny,,:th_smiliebanana2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
too funny,,:th_smiliebanana2:
we drive on the right side..you boys drive on the wrong side:yahoo::clapsmilie:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Read a post in the Rene section about the Xxc recall from the guy in Canada
http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-renegade/16945-safety-recall-2010-rene-xxc.html

He said the recall states the machine can suddenly pull to the left..No word on it effecting the Outtys...
Just an FYI for the unimformed..the handlebars have a direct connection..the PS can not turn the wheels without also turning the handle bars,in case anyone was wondering...
My DPS has never tried to get ahead of me,or turn the wheels on its own at all.
Hopefully it is just an Xxc thing...sounds possible, like it is a programming issue if anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cant remeber exactly the problem but from memory the powersteering could have some kind of grounding problem that would make the steering pull to the left.

With the update done if this happens the powersteering will momentarily be shut off so there is no risk of the machine pulling left on its own.
And this affects all 2010 models with powersteering.
You should all get a notification in the mail from BRP soon because this is a safety recall.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I cant remeber exactly the problem but from memory the powersteering could have some kind of grounding problem that would make the steering pull to the left.

With the update done if this happens the powersteering will momentarily be shut off so there is no risk of the machine pulling left on its own.
And this affects all 2010 models with powersteering.
You should all get a notification in the mail from BRP soon because this is a safety recall.
Can-Am - ATV

From the Can-Am ATV recalls page(link above)
"There are no recent recalls at this time."

The only recall I can find is for the SPYDER DPS...is it possible there is some confusion going on here?

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/C...rticleID=fb85b365-84b8-4256-9294-4d14e8a6b5ae

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.