Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 outty 1000 when replacing the brake pads front 2 and single rear using a c-clamp to push in the Piston in on caliper ,
Is it necessary to take the brake reservoir cover off
To let the brake fluid through the lines to brake reservoir.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,208 Posts
No, that's a sealed system. As the pads wear and caliper pistons extend, the fluid level in the reservoir drops accordingly. All you're doing is refilling the reservoir in reverse.

You could just as well pop the top to see where the level is tho, once it's all said and done, and top off as necessary

Reactions: Bytor1000

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys what is going on here.
I am getting major uneven wear it's the front right caliper.
The right side outboard caliper is wearing more so at the fork end of the pad
The other pad inside pad on the Piston side is wearing more on the side of the pin.
The where on the pad surface is uneven.
And it's wearing at opposite ends of each pad.
What is the reason for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay
I put a little bit of ultra disc brake caliper lube on the pin , slightly
Also on both pads at the ends where it may need to slide a little.
I did not glob this on just a light film
TO HELP WITH ANY SLIGHT MOVEMENT AS PAD WEARS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Take those pins to a wire brush on a bench grinder clean them up like new & as you stated just a little caliper lube on the sliding parts. Definitely binding up with the piston on the caliper collasped you should be able to move it freely by hand.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Check the caliper pins for wear at the point(s) where the pad plate contacts them .
I have seen notches worn into the pins that prevent the pad from moving freely .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took all the pins out buffed them down very nice and smooth put a little lube on them and put them through, the rear brake however which is on the right side of the machine seems to have a lot of pressure on the inner pad(left side of rotor)?
So much pressure that it actually slows the wheel down a bit more than a bit a lot where if you turning it by hand you can feel the drag is that just until the brakes wear in?
Or is something not adjusted correctly? Thank you for all your help guys really appreciated

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There will be some drag, if after they are seated in you feel heavy drag or binding possible piston not retracting but that's not very common usually contaminated fluid. Also make sure your not feeling the axle drag when turning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a slight bit of movement not a lot there's those rubber boots on the end of those bolt bosses and it moves a slight bit but not a lot I mean it's floating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts