Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket stock sized piston and rings. I have a 2000 Traxter 500 and I chipped the piston trying to dig out the rings that were siezed into the groove. The factory wants $150+ for a replacement and I cant find any aftermarket ones out there. Even a used piston that isn't scared up is fine with me as well if someone has one.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
hey bro, didn't see your post till now.

i reciently rebuilt my motor and couldn't find an aftermarket anything for it. ended up going the dealership route. I sent you a PM about my old piston. it'll be a couple of weeks before im up north to check it out but i'll let you know as soon as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey bro, didn't see your post till now.

i reciently rebuilt my motor and couldn't find an aftermarket anything for it. ended up going the dealership route. I sent you a PM about my old piston. it'll be a couple of weeks before im up north to check it out but i'll let you know as soon as possible.
Here you go Smokey, hopefuly this works

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like there's a couple of knicks around the top outside edge? if so im thinking that one of the ones i have should be better then that. i'll let you know

Thats from where I dropped the darn thing. It WAS in perfect shape until I got carried away removing the siezed piston rings from it and chipped the ring grove between the 2nd ring and the oil rings. I have been building motors for over 20 years and never done that before. Oh well theres a first time for everything....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hey bro, here's the pics of the two pistons that I have up here. They are pretty black but the grooves are good. The one with rings has the top two brand new rings, I think anyway. Sorry the pics are not the greatest, took em with my BB

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey bro, here's the pics of the two pistons that I have up here. They are pretty black but the grooves are good. The one with rings has the top two brand new rings, I think anyway. Sorry the pics are not the greatest, took em with my BB
Thanks Smokey, just a quick question, it's difficult to tell if either of the pistons still have the machining/lathe marks around the outside diameter of the pistons which I think you can see on mine. If these are mostly gone then they are no good but I will be willing to try anyway. Enjoy that campfire tonight, the wife and I wish we could be there...

Thanks again Smokey...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
here's somemore pics, don't know if you'll be able to see from them or not but if your talking about straight "scratch" marks running from the top to the bottom of the piston then they both still have that. The one with the rings on it even more so. I'm not talking about the squiggly rub marks but actuall machining marks in the metal itself

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's somemore pics, don't know if you'll be able to see from them or not but if your talking about straight "scratch" marks running from the top to the bottom of the piston then they both still have that. The one with the rings on it even more so. I'm not talking about the squiggly rub marks but actuall machining marks in the metal itself
Then I will take the one with the rings in it. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts