Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ricochet skids don’t fit the Outlander 800r x mr

I purchased a full set of skids, spent all day installing them.

Went to give it a test drive, and the front wheels grab the skids! I had to take it back off, could not make turns!!!

Also that back skid was two short, they probably sent to the one for the smaller Outty and not the Max!

I will need to call them on Monday and see if they can make some that fit.

Gator

·
Registered
240 Posts
As far as the tires rubbing the skid plate, that is a common problem with the bigger tires, you just have to trim the skid plate to clear the tire. Also make sure to check between the front a-arm guards and the center guard to make sure they aren't hitting, sometimes you have to trim the a-arm guards so they don't stop the arm from dropping all the way down. If they did send you the kit for the regular outty and not the max...you'll probablly have to send them back, me personally, I would just get them to refund me the difference in price between regular ones and the max ones, in all the riding i've done this summer i've never hit anything with the rear of the frame.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had to trim mine too for the 30" backs.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yep, trimmed mine for the 30" backs as well. Got a dremel and went to town and it's nowhere near rubbing.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yeh, and the baack one is kind of pointless anyways. I've never hit anything back there and it's bad at catching mud. My quad can be spotless but there's always mud in that back skid and I can never get it all out.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts

Went to give it a test drive, and the front wheels grab the skids! I had to take it back off, could not make turns!!!

Also that back skid was two short, they probably sent to the one for the smaller Outty and not the Max!

Gator

We all had to trim em in front of the floorboards. Maybe they will have a small re-design with the XMR coming with 30's, the back piece being short you're probably right they sent the shorty kit but that is the only diff. I would say since they are made to fit all Can Ams from 400's to 800's and 90% of those run 28" tires or less you may not see a design change. I've had the front CV protectors on previous bikes and they ended up being nothing more than places to store mud and make it harder to get at your boots. Very cool looking but over rated IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back my retrofitted skids from richochet for my XMR....
http://69.94.125.252/store/page343.html

the fit perfectly...

Gator

Gator

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Cool, now all guys running 29.5's or up can get em.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Looks Good Gator...and thanks for having him post it D.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, and I don't know if anyone has a set of skids that already have them, but if ya look close, you'll notice that Ricochet put a set of Foot Peg Mounting Screw access holes in the skid - Finally, out of the box, a guy can do a belt change on the trail without having to either 1), taket he skid off, or 2), drill his own access holes --- that is of course if he's like me and would rather pull the footwell vs. fight the belt cover.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Those look good! Just trimmed mine last week to fit the 30's

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Your welcome there OuttyUpFront

Gators a good man, just needs a little coaching from time to time! lol

Donna on the Outty

I don't know if anyone else noticed, and I don't know if anyone has a set of skids that already have them, but if ya look close, you'll notice that Ricochet put a set of Foot Peg Mounting Screw access holes in the skid - Finally, out of the box, a guy can do a belt change on the trail without having to either 1), taket he skid off, or 2), drill his own access holes --- that is of course if he's like me and would rather pull the footwell vs. fight the belt cover.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same thing with me....the guy over there told me to wait a week and they had the ones made for the mxr....fit great....already saved my a arms a few times

Gator, was the first set you bought for an outlander max, cause I know about three weeks ago they didn't even have them for the xmr, thats why I waited.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes they were for the outlander max!!!

So On 09-11-2010, I posted about, I ordered the richochet skids When they arrived I found out that they did not fit properly, so i called and talked with richochet, they had me send them the photos I took, and take measurements for them,(See in the photos) then they sent me a call tag to get back the skids, They then retrofited the skids for the XMR....
As I stated I just got back my retrofitted skids from richochet for my XMR....

Now they fit perfectly... as you can see in my photos above!!!

Gator

Same thing with me....the guy over there told me to wait a week and they had the ones made for the mxr....fit great....already saved my a arms a few times

Gator, was the first set you bought for an outlander max, cause I know about three weeks ago they didn't even have them for the xmr, thats why I waited.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You must have got yours before I ordered mine. I ordered mine on September 15th but I emailed Don before I placed my order. He said to hold off cause the were having problems hitting the wheels. THAT MUST HAVE BEEN YOU GATOR!!!!!! Got mine on the 223 rd ....fit great. Gatorade would still love to see photos and and know how you did your sborkels

·
Registered
477 Posts

I've pulled CVT covers from a few machines, never had to pull anything else. It just takes a little patient jigglin'/maneuvering. Rock the bottom out as you tilt the top in. Badabing, it's off.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've pulled CVT covers from a few machines, never had to pull anything else. It just takes a little patient jigglin'/maneuvering. Rock the bottom out as you tilt the top in. Badabing, it's off.
Off a Max or Regular Outty?... I've read the Max is easier... I'm not sure how easy a Regular Outty is as I've always pulled the fenderwell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ricochet Skids

Did anyone else find that drilling a hole through the frame was a really bad idea? I said to heck with that and took them off and had it welded at both seams for a single piece skid plate. It looks better and won't affect the integrity of the frame. :smilietwocents:

That didn't help my CV from breaking this weekend though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts