Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Outlander 1000 XMR Outlander 650 XMR
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I stumbled onto a project bike on CL. I contacted the guy about 4 hours after he posted it and we worked a deal, so I figured I’d give it a shot. Bike is a ‘13 Outlander 650 XMR. According to the previous owner, it’s been sitting for 3 years after he heard a small pop and it lost power. The bike looked ROUGH to say the least, and the kicker is, it was 4 states away... 15 hours round trip. 😵

Here‘s a few of the pics he sent me...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And here she is loaded up in my truck for the journey home. It was nasty out, didn’t realize we had headed right into the path of hurricane Delta, we beat it by 20 hours or so. :rolleyes: As I’m sure y’all know, she’s heavy! It was fun loading her into my truck that’s on 35’s.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Big_D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t have much time yesterday with the tail end of the storm heading our way. The bike wouldn’t go into park when I got it (that worried me) and it has absolutely no brakes. Battery was dead, but the deal was good and I was buying it basically site unseen... so I can’t complain. After a new battery, a little tweaking on the shift rod, some pressure washing and 1/4 of a bottle of HEET fuel drier... here’s where she stands now. This was taken about 30 mins before a tornado touched down about 2 miles from us. 😐

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No power in the house for 12hrs made for a long night last night, so we didn’t get much done today on it. That, and it’s still raining off and on here. :rolleyes: We picked up new plugs, oil and filter, plus some Royal Purple for the gearbox. I’ve got brake pads on the way too. The oil is very clean, but has a slight hint of a fuel smell. I’m assuming it’s from sitting for so long. Haven’t looked at the gearbox oil yet, we will when we change it. We’ll be doing the difs too, didn’t know what weight to get for them though. There is a little bit of a knock noise when we hit the throttle and the RPM’s go up, I’m thinking it may be in the gearbox, but it’s there in park or neutral so not sure.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650
125 Posts
That's a nice project and glad you got it running. As for the fluids, it's 75W90 for the front diff and 75W140 for the rear diff and the gearbox.

Do you mind telling us how much you ended up paying for it so that it's lucrative enough to drive 4 states away?

All the best to you and keep us updated with your progress.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this bike.. looks like it also came with the speakers on the front too!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a nice project and glad you got it running. As for the fluids, it's 75W90 for the front diff and 75W140 for the rear diff and the gearbox.

Do you mind telling us how much you ended up paying for it so that it's lucrative enough to drive 4 states away?

All the best to you and keep us updated with your progress.

Appreciate it! Thanks for the info on the fluids too. I think the gearbox only holds around 400ml from what I‘ve read, is the rear diff about the same? Just wondering if I’ll need another quart, or if one quart will do both.

As for the price... we agreed on $1600. For me, that seemed like a good enough deal to make the journey. 😁

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this bike.. looks like it also came with the speakers on the front too!
Hopefully we can get her cleaned up and back to her glory! I can’t find much info on the speaker setup. It’s a Mayhem Manufacturing setup with Bazooka speakers, not sure on the amp. All I can find on them online is pictures on Pinterest. They were connected to the battery when we swapped it out, I left them disconnected for now in case they were causing a parasitic draw. Figured I’d give them a shot when everything else gets squared away... not sure if my son will wait that long though.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,241 Posts
My brutha from anutha mutha, LOVE tales like these, someone (brave/crazy?) enough to take a huge gamble on what could be a huge payoff, and have it come up golden. Think that's a very fair price, for this area, did the seller state it ran? Mine at least ran and moved, so that wasn't quite so risky an undertaking.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,241 Posts
Just wondering if I’ll need another quart, or if one quart will do both.
IIRC, I grabbed two little qts of the 140, and just one of the 90

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650
125 Posts
Appreciate it! Thanks for the info on the fluids too. I think the gearbox only holds around 400ml from what I‘ve read, is the rear diff about the same? Just wondering if I’ll need another quart, or if one quart will do both.

As for the price... we agreed on $1600. For me, that seemed like a good enough deal to make the journey.
On my 2016 650, it's 450ml for the gearbox, 250 for the rear diff and 500 for the front diff.

At $1600, it's basically daylight robbery

Very happy for you. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My brutha from anutha mutha, LOVE tales like these, someone (brave/crazy?) enough to take a huge gamble on what could be a huge payoff, and have it come up golden. Think that's a very fair price, for this area, did the seller state it ran? Mine at least ran and moved, so that wasn't quite so risky an undertaking.
I hear ya! Lol

I‘m always in for a good fixer upper if I can find the right deal. Seller told me it hadn’t ran since he parked it 3 years ago. I knew it was a gamble going in, but for the price I figured worst case scenario I could part it out and get my money back out. My buddy at work told me I was braver than him (or crazier) taking the chance on it, but when I looked at it in the pics I could see huge potential... she needed saving! :cool:

Hopefully, when we get her back into shape, you won’t recognize her by the pics above.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts