Can-Am ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Outlander 1000 XMR Outlander 650 XMR
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The sound is really odd that it goes away. Is it only when the machine is cold or warming up?
Yeah, it’s weird. I’m wondering if it’s a combination of the bad fuel and valves that need to be adjusted. I would have drained the tank, but it’s not as easy on this bike as the others I’m used to working on. Not sure if there’s an easy way or not... if so, I haven’t figured it out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Easiest way to get the majority would be to siphon it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, it’s weird. I’m wondering if it’s a combination of the bad fuel and valves that need to be adjusted. I would have drained the tank, but it’s not as easy on this bike as the others I’m used to working on. Not sure if there’s an easy way or not... if so, I haven’t figured it out.
Yeah, do the easy stuff first. It is an alarming sound, and from earlier posts it is recent. I doubt gas. Very odd!

Can you put heavier oil in and see if that changes the sound.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Chech rear cam chain tensioner. It is honestly to loud to be that but check it anyways.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah, do the easy stuff first. It is an alarming sound, and from earlier posts it is recent. I doubt gas. Very odd!

Can you put heavier oil in and see if that changes the sound.
It did quiet up quite a bit after changing the oil and filter. Not sure if it’s the original oil in it or not. I’m running Rotella T6 05w40 in it now.

If it was the original oil, it was most likely gone years ago.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It did quiet up quite a bit after changing the oil and filter. Not sure if it’s the original oil in it or not. I’m running Rotella T6 05w40 in it now.

If it was the original oil, it was most likely gone years ago.
I am thinking if you put some straight 30w in the machine would really really quite down even when cold. Might help diagnose the problem. Is the sound left or right bias? Does the engine shake at all? Once upon a time, I think I recall a metal bar attached to a stethoscope could be used to probe the engine to help pin point the location of the sound, i.e valve cover, cylinders (front or rear), oil pan, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander MAX XT 650
130 Posts
Chech rear cam chain tensioner. It is honestly to loud to be that but check it anyways.

I echo this. Check the rear chain tensioner. The rear chain tensioner on my ATV (650 as well) was coming loose (and pulling out of its spot) and even thouh it wasn't causing any noises yet, it could have ended with a catastrophic engine failure. It was out of place enough to start spraying a bit of engine oil on the surrounding areas as can be seen in the attached pics.

From what I've read on the forums, this problem is common quite enough on these engines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Was it just the mount bolt that was loose?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was it just the mount bolt that was loose?
That's correct. It wasn't screwing in correctly. We ended up swapping the front tensioner which was ok with this rear one and then on this one, we just used a glueing sealer to seal it in place. No problems since then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Looking closer at this pic, looks like there may be some evidence of leakage in that area... I’ll check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That pic was taken shortly after the plastics came off, nothing had been touched yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alright. The 2 pictures I attached were taken from the CVT (left side) btw. If you remove the L-shaped exhaust shield, you'll be able to see much better. The bad part about this is that we had to remove the entire exhaust to be able to replace the tensioner. Long tedious job.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I figured it was on the other side of the bike, just looks like there is a possible dark area under the valve cover. Could be a little seep from the cover though, I’ll verify tomorrow. (y)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Alright. The 2 pictures I attached were taken from the CVT (left side) btw. If you remove the L-shaped exhaust shield, you'll be able to see much better. The bad part about this is that we had to remove the entire exhaust to be able to replace the tensioner. Long tedious job.

Ahhh... looking closer at your pics, looks like It’s on the aft side of the jug, so the wetness I was looking at wouldn’t be from the tensioner.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts