Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outlander 450
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So need some help, the problem cam back this year after sitting a month or two. Did the same thing I did before remove and clean the throttle body, and iac passage to fix and it did not help this time. Also cleaned out air box and cleaned and reoiled air filter. Will start good idle is high then comes down. It is not very smooth... eventually 30 sec or so it will stall.
I noticed when I turn the power on before trying to start the iac makes a scratchy slight grinding noise then just kinda a wine I think is normal but when I turn power off is is also scratchy and slightly grinding noise... SO do you think the iac is shot? I what is a normal sound that should come from the iac when turning power on and off?

I will try and get a sound clip posted...

thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Outlander 450
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey so still no luck... I still think it’s the iac. So I removed it to clean it. Turned key to on to see if it was moving properly and it the pindle shot out! I have no idea is this is normal and cannot find any info. But I was able to get it back and reinstalled but it did not change anything. Still rough ideal and stalling... unless I’m like almost full throttle then bike will run ok at high rpm but as soon as you slow down it starts backfire and will stall when you stop.
So does anyone m ow if this means the iac is broken or is that pindle supposed to come all the way out? Trying to narrow down the problem. Don’t want to thro 130 bucks at a new iac if it don’t have too.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Johnny, it sounds like as safe a bet as any. If you're "just" having issues at idle, it's almost always the IAC valve.

Once you start to experience problems at throttle or accel, then you can start to think about fuel pump, MAP/T sensor, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Outlander 450
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Bombardier, just talked to a service guy and he suggested first spraying brake cleaner around all the seams of the TB and connecting hose and the exhaust manifold for air leaks first. If there is a leak will suck in cleaner and rpms will rise... if no leak there should be no change in rpms. He did not know if the iac pindle is able to be removed and reinserted. If I don’t find any air leaks I’ll bite the bullet and get the new iac.

·
Registered
2017 Outlander 450
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update I did not find any leaks. Drained the gas and filled up with fresh fuel just in case and ran it pretty good around some backroads runs good when on throttle as soon as you level off or let off it wants to and does backfire... come to a stop it will stall unless you give it more throttle.

So it must be the iac or the tps sensor... or a fuel pump issue? Any way to test the tps?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts