Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you hook a rock and stand the quad on its nose no fun!!

So does some company build a plow with a hard rubber scraping edge so when an obstacle is encountered the rubber folds away and lets the blade slide over without locking up.

Another thing the plow would need to raise high enough so when running in deep snow it does not drag. I can build something and may do that but would rather purchase a turnkey setup.

The setup will be for a new Outlander 850

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
787 Posts
That is what the two springs at the front of the plow are for. If the springs are setup properly the plows cutting edge will flip backward & bounce over the obstacle (ie: rock). But if you really want a rubber cutting edge, just go online & buy a 3/4" x 3" section of hard rubber, long enough for the width of your plow & bolt it on.
I googled 3/4" x 3" hard rubber & found https://www.rubbercal.com/specialty-products/snowplow-blades/ in their Specialty Products.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Slow down...lol.. but ya a properly ser up plow will just flip... allot of the lower end plows are not set up to do this...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

Been plowing these mountain roads with both trucks and quads for many years and end up snowed in for about 2 months every season. Thinking a good plow setup and with tracks on the 850 I can keep a quad trail open for a couple neighbors who do not have tracks.

Probably end up building the plow as I did for 2007 Polaris. Just thought there might be a turn key plow setup out there. Thanks for the link to the Rubber Cutting Edges. You use the soft one so it bends easily and replace it when it wears too much. The rubbers on the blade works pretty good and absorbs a lot of shock but does hang up sometimes but can put up with that. As for properly setting the springs on the plow been there done that does not work worth a crap on these very rough trails. Too soft and it's constantly flipping too hard and you stand the quad on its nose every 20 feet especially on a steep downhill. There is no happy medium.

On the 2007 I built that plow and it will come up and almost lay on the front deck so when running through deep snow it does not drag. Need to figure out something for this 850 to get the blade up so I can run uphill and plow coming down. That is what acetylene and a welder is for right? :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I'm plowing crap like that I always left the blade up just slightly. It would skip over the boulders and after a few snow falls I would have a good hard base built. Smooth sailing for the rest of the season

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
I suggest running it over to pack it down in the beginning if at all possible. Getting a solid snow/ice base. No problem them. That's what I do on our gravel driveway.

The big springs on plows are how you avoid that, the plow flips down and you don't stand it up on end.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I plow in the winter with tracks and let me tell you this, you won't likely flip the ATV over. Instead you will brake something and run over the plow. I'm very careful with plowing with my tracks, I have a 1000 and I have hit some hard stuff and the blade flips done, so I connected a chain to just let it flip down half way. I can pile up the snow too, about 10 feet or more. I start to lift blade as I get to pile and it will push the snow right up no problem. So take extra time and caution when plowing with your tracks on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plow in the winter with tracks and let me tell you this, you won't likely flip the ATV over. Instead you will brake something and run over the plow. I'm very careful with plowing with my tracks, I have a 1000 and I have hit some hard stuff and the blade flips done, so I connected a chain to just let it flip down half way. I can pile up the snow too, about 10 feet or more. I start to lift blade as I get to pile and it will push the snow right up no problem. So take extra time and caution when plowing with your tracks on.
Hey Born2atv
Thanks for the advice. I plow about 5 miles of very steep rough mountain road with a truck and a quad. When the truck becomes over whelmed with wind blown drifts I switch to the quad and a shovel. I either get a trail going with the quad on the inside of the drifts or end up doing a lot of shoveling.

I'm thinking with the tracks I can keep a trail open for a couple neighbors who don't have tracks with half the work and save the wear and tear on the truck. Have a lot of plowing experience but never ran tracks so it will be a learning experience especially with the big drifts. Again thanks for sound advice

Which tracks are you running and what plow?? Your comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hey Born2atv
Thanks for the advice. I plow about 5 miles of very steep rough mountain road with a truck and a quad. When the truck becomes over whelmed with wind blown drifts I switch to the quad and a shovel. I either get a trail going with the quad on the inside of the drifts or end up doing a lot of shoveling.

I'm thinking with the tracks I can keep a trail open for a couple neighbors who don't have tracks with half the work and save the wear and tear on the truck. Have a lot of plowing experience but never ran tracks so it will be a learning experience especially with the big drifts. Again thanks for sound advice

[/QUOTE
Hey Born2atv

I run the Camso TS4 tracks, as for plow it is a old Kimpex frame and a Canadian Tire 60 inch plow. I made my own mounting bracket just like the 2014 BRP one and it mounts just behind the front tires. Four bolts hold it in place, can be removed it minutes. If I buy a newer Can-Am with the front stabilizer, I will need to mod it because the new stabilizer crosses the same place that I have a bar to hold mount in place. One more thing to remember, with the tracks on you will need to extend the plow frame out so it doesn't hit the tracks when you turn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run the Camso TS4 tracks, as for plow it is a old Kimpex frame and a Canadian Tire 60 inch plow. I made my own mounting bracket just like the 2014 BRP one and it mounts just behind the front tires. Four bolts hold it in place, can be removed it minutes. If I buy a newer Can-Am with the front stabilizer, I will need to mod it because the new stabilizer crosses the same place that I have a bar to hold mount in place. One more thing to remember, with the tracks on you will need to extend the plow frame out so it doesn't hit the tracks when you turn.
The last plow on the 2007 Polaris I modified the whole mounting assembly moving all to the front and built a hinge so when lifting the blade up it almost lays on the deck so it would not drag when running up the mountain in new deep snow. I need to run by the dealer and look at some quads with plows mounted and see what kind of clearance they have. I have an accessory catalog here and it shows one plow that hinges up at the front and looks like it gets pretty high.

I don't care how fast it can be removed once on it stays there all winter.

OK I have been thinking the TS4's also. Do you have studs or ice breaker cleats on your tracks? Check out the photo which came from Camso. Kinda where I'm headed. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The last plow on the 2007 Polaris I modified the whole mounting assembly moving all to the front and built a hinge so when lifting the blade up it almost lays on the deck so it would not drag when running up the mountain in new deep snow. I need to run by the dealer and look at some quads with plows mounted and see what kind of clearance they have. I have an accessory catalog here and it shows one plow that hinges up at the front and looks like it gets pretty high.

I don't care how fast it can be removed once on it stays there all winter.

OK I have been thinking the TS4's also. Do you have studs or ice breaker cleats on your tracks? Check out the photo which came from Camso. Kinda where I'm headed. Thanks for you input.

View attachment 96162
I have no need for them, most of my Tracking is in deep snow. My drive way is 120 feet long and flat, so the tracks don't even spin while pushing the snow. But I have been on ice with them and I would say if you drive on the ice for what ever, I would think that these studs would help out. Like I said, I have never needed them so let me know how many you install and how they work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts