Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2019 Defender HD10. The machine is making a rumbling sound when you decelerate. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear somewhere behind the cab. Any ideas?
Checked the gear box, level is good. Checked the belt, seemed ok.
We recently put new tires on the rear but left the old front ones on it because they are still in decent shape.
Needing some ideas on where to even start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How many miles? I just put an EPI Clutch kit in mine and it's way less noise and smoother. I was at 2800Mi but run it hard, Tracks and Plowing.
Have a close look at the Helix roller cam if the edges are worn it needs to go. It's about a 2 hour job mostly cleaning and checking everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the chances of it being a CV joint? is there a easy way to check them? I am a decently handy mechanic, with the assistance of You Tube, just not real familiar with Can Am. This is our first one.
The machine has 9000 miles on it. mostly pasture driving. It is used on a ranch for hauling salt and mineral and fencing tools.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
I can't speak in specifics of your machine, Darby, but it sounds like you could diagnose this yourself, with a little "hands-on" approach to the "usual suspects":

Jack the machine up, rear, specifically, and start putting your hands on all the rotating drivetrain components. Shake 'em like they owe you money. I'm thinking you've got a rear driveshaft u-joint going out. Your CV joints will typically survive as long as the boots aren't torn. If you see a circle of grease slung out of a boot, then sure yeah that joint has a good chance of failing, but if they're clean you're probably in the clear for those. Check the rear diff mounting bolts, make sure they're gudntite.

I can't imagine a wheel bearing doing what you're describing, but grab the tire noon and six and see if you can make it wiggle any. If nothing sheds any light on this, move on to the Helix behind the secondary clutch. That will require a little more disassembly/time, but again, youtube videos should show you the way.

Reactions: xsever and DaveB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe just a characteristic of the new tires. Same tread as the old ones? If the fronts are half worn and she's in 4X4 there would have to be some slippage because of the difference in diameter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got off work at a decent hour last night and did some trouble shooting.
Put it up on jacks and messed with it. Wheel bearing feel fine. CV joints feel ok. So I started the machine and revved it up.
In Park, at about 3200 rpm it begins making the rumbling noise that my mom is reporting.
I can’t find anything loose in the exhaust mounts. The noise does sound like it is coming from behind the secondary, but why would it make that noise if the transmission is not even engaged?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts
If you were at ~3200 rpm, both clutches were rolling at a pretty good clip. Secondary would only be stationary at idle. Sounds like something's going on in your belt box. Pop the cover off and check 'em out. Lots of good videos on youtube to give you an idea what to expect

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got time to get into clutches. Changed out the helix and springs. There was some wear on the helix but not awful.
I attempted to change out the rollers even though they looked okay but could not get the bolts loose. Broke my only T25 that I have on hand trying.
Went ahead and cleaned everything up good and put it back together.
No change. Still have the rumble at about 3200 rpm.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
978 Posts
See if you can get ahold of a snap on bit and use a hammer screw driver. I would go ahead and replace those rollers. Hows the primary clutch look? Hows the belt look? Transaxle oil look good?

Edit: Specifically the weights and rollers. Look for wear between weights and primary like this picture, and check the two way bearing, should be smooth.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Jack it up, and then have someone give it throttle on and off to replicate the sound, then use either a long screwdriver or mechanics stethoscope to your ear to diagnose where it’s coming from

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately I rarely have anyone around to help me.
I used a sledge to hold it at rpms and listened and it really seems to be coming from the secondary.
I just replaced the one way about 1000 miles ago and serviced it today. It still looks good and rolls smooth.
Fluid is good. Belt is good.
I have a neighbor going to town tomorrow that will pick me up another (a couple) T25’s. Lol.
If I can get free tomorrow night I will delve back into it and get the rollers changed.
The primary looked pretty solid. I had one weight that was a tad sticky but got it moving freely.
I live in the absolute middle of nowhere so it takes forever for parts to get to me and getting the machine to a shop entails lots of travel time.
Therefore… I absolutely appreciate any advise or ideas. Thank you all! I really appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Have you actually drained the gearbox? Or did yah just check the level?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need to use some heat on those T25's lots of yellow Locktite on them. Give the guys at EPI a call and see if they can't point you the right direction. They were a great help with mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts