Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my transmission oil in my 2006 Outy 800 with the recommended chaincase oil about 400kms ago. On my first ride I realized my speed sensor would go wonky after going 100km/h. I cleaned the sensor and it had a bunch of shavings on it so I cleaned. After my ride last night it did it again, so now I'm cleaning it and it again has a good amount of shavings on it again. I'm starting to wonder if running chaincase oil was a bad idea (because I know BRP has made some dumb decisions) and if I should run actual gear oil instead. Just doesn't seem right to run chaincase oil in a transmission durrings the summer and not in a sled in the winter.

What do you guys think?
Run gear oil? And what viscosity?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeah, BRP changed the requirement to 75w/140 gear oil back in about 2009. The chaincase oil still shouldn't produce too many shavings. Maybe flush it out with oil and change to the 75w/140.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
809 Posts
I changed my transmission oil in my 2006 Outy 800 with the recommended chaincase oil about 400kms ago. On my first ride I realized my speed sensor would go wonky after going 100km/h. I cleaned the sensor and it had a bunch of shavings on it so I cleaned. After my ride last night it did it again, so now I'm cleaning it and it again has a good amount of shavings on it again. I'm starting to wonder if running chaincase oil was a bad idea (because I know BRP has made some dumb decisions) and if I should run actual gear oil instead. Just doesn't seem right to run chaincase oil in a transmission durrings the summer and not in a sled in the winter.

What do you guys think?
Run gear oil? And what viscosity?
If you are getting shavings, DO NOT RIDE IT ANYMORE and make sure you drain the fluid and fill with 75W140 GL-5 fluid. Ride it again for a bit then do another drain and fill. You have to make sure no shavings remain inside to avoid any damage.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill be changing to 75w-140 then. They aren't really big shaving, more like liquidly metal shavings but I'm going to flush it as soon as I get the oil. Thanks for the info, knew something wasn't right with the sensor needing a cleaning within 200kms.
Going to start using amsoil as I have a dealer just in town.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found some Amsoil synthetic V-Twin Transmission fluid. It's equivalent to a SAE 110 weigh oil so im going to run it. Will at least be better that the almost as light as water chaincase oil. Couldn't find any 75w140 but have 75w90 if you don't think the amsoil I bought will work.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
809 Posts
Found some Amsoil synthetic V-Twin Transmission fluid. It's equivalent to a SAE 110 weigh oil so im going to run it. Will at least be better that the almost as light as water chaincase oil. Couldn't find any 75w140 but have 75w90 if you don't think the amsoil I bought will work.
What your ATV needs from Amsoil is as follows:
Gearbox and rear diff: https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-atv-utv-transmission-differential-fluid-audt/?code=AUDTPK-EA
Engine: https://www.amsoil.com/p/10w-40-synthetic-atv-utv-engine-oil-auv40/?code=AUV40QT-EA

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up filling it with it with some 75w140 Royal purple. Was going to run that amsoil V-Twin tranny oil but I decided not to... will see how well this stuff works in it.

Just seems kind of odd that they went from almost water thin chaincase oil to THICK 75w140 gear oil...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts