Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
871 Posts
Only if you use it on salted roads like southern Michigan or use it on ocean beaches.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
871 Posts
Eventually it will as the rust eats away the steel. You should find some rust neutralizing chemical. Use it then paint it to seal it.
If that was mine, I would tear down the machine and replace what is rusted with new steel tubing. Would not be difficult for me as I am a welder/fabricator

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But it’s part of the shield. Can be replace??
Can you recommend me for a material against the rust?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Where is the crack?

The rust alone isn't enough to lose any integrity. Clean it, paint it and don't look back....would like to see a better shot of the crack tho.

This is what I have been using on rusty steel for the last 10 years. Incredible stuff.

·
Registered
713 Posts
OK, still not an integrity issue. It is hard to tell but from the pic does not look like a crack which would continue to spread under stress. You caught it in time, just keep an eye on it going forward after you paint it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I see more than one crack in that frame and one that has opened up... So if this side is cracked then the other side is. Usually if paint is cracking and falling off like that their is a underlying issue ohter than rust, like cracking in the frame or something bent enough to pop the paint.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If it was recent it would be fresh steel. That is clearly rusted. Of course keep an eye on it but I see no problem there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts