Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sand set up for 2012 1000

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  toolboy 
#1 ·
Hi All...so I've searched and haven't found the answers I'm seeking. Several times per year we ride Sand Mountain just East of Fallon NV. My 1000 with stock tires can get me anywhere out there, but I'd like to get up the steep stuff FASTER! So here are my questions:

1. with stock tires, do you all run 2WD or 4WD? 4WD seems to work better for me.
2. if going with sand tires - 4 or just two on the rear?
3. if going with 4 sands, 4WD is the obvious choice, but if only running them on the rear, 2WD?

Any help based on experience is appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I run sand tires unlimited (stu) 16 paddle blasters 26/12/12 #1 paddle. The #1 paddle is the short paddle. You probably want "play cut" not "comp cut". Comp cut they cut away the rubber between the paddles down to the cord to lighten the tires but it leaves there more prone to punctures. I run the comp cuts also but am very careful over what terrain I ride them on. The stu blasters have great floatation and work excellent in climbing the big hills. Many people may tell you to run skat track extemes with a smaller number of paddles, but the 1000 is a big machine and it needs the floatation of the stu tires.the skat track tires aren't as wide, I have them too. Don't buy the stu blaster "pro" version which an inch wider as you don't that much tire.
I run almost 90 % in 4 wd. Dave at Fullertonsand sports will probably give you the best deal, I haven't found anyone else cheaper. The stu blasters are pricey but worth it in my opinion.

#3 ·
I just run back paddles and stock tires on the front in 4wd. I ran stock rear rims as i was a little worried about Douglas blue label rims not being strong enough for the weight of the machine. If you jump your machine even a little run stock rims, they will take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.