Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some preventative maintenance on my primary and figured I'd tear into the secondary as I've not had it apart yet. There are some apparent wear marks from the torque gear that do not appear normal to me. Not enough to catch a finger nail on and I was able to get most of it with some emory cloth and stiff elbow grease, but I'm curious why the inconsistent wear marks. Any opinions or am I over analyzing this?

Also, the manual doesn't mention it but should I be using loctite on the bolt for the primary and the secondary? That secondary really has some "want to" behind it! Hate to have that come apart!
http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26918&stc=1&d=1427030868

http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26919&stc=1&d=1427030506

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
thats normal wear for stock clutches... they dont perform overly well so they tend to wear from slippage and what not, your clutches look acctuly alot better then most peoples stock clutches do haha ... your primary bolt doesnt need loctite in my eyes but if you want to put some blue loctite 243 on it that would be fine wont hurt anything.... for the secondary myself i have never had a problem but being on these forums along time alot of people have had theres let loose so i dont advise putting loctite on it.... alot of ppl put red loctite like 262 or 272 i find thats overkill myself and when you wanna take that secondary bolt back out and it has red loctite your gonna have to heat that bolt up with a torch or something to get it back out so thats up to you... i would personally use blue but im sure someone else will chime in on this matter aswell, if it were me the can am manual states dont reuse the secondary bolt again so i would buy a new one from can-am there not expensive and then just yous blue loctite on it and torque it down properly and your good to go

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at least I don't feel so bad about putting it back together now. I took the pictures after I cleaned them up, degreased them with a rag soaked with citrus degreaser and then cleaned up the sheaves with some scotchbrite (not emory cloth like I said above, LOL). Being Im at such low miles and stock tires, I guess I wasn't expecting much if any wear on the secondary so it surprised me a little when I opened it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts