Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a short ride around my neighborhood on my Outlander Max. It was a nice, spring like day with temps near 50. I never saw another car. It is always fun to ride the Outlander, even if the terrain wasn't challenging.

It would be interesting to hear where you, and maybe with friends, road your ATVs down a public secondary road. Stop for lunch? See something interesting? Encounter any dangerous traffic situations? How did the ride go?

David

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I ride mine to work and the trap club. One morning about 8 am on the way to the gun club I had a car staying right up along side me in the right lane, I looked over to see the driver either taking a picture or videoing me riding down the road. He finally sped up and I noticed he had Washington plates. Guess they don't see guys hauling down the pavement in Washington. I have about 500 pavement miles on the quad with nothing to exciting to report.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
My scenery looks nothing like that or I would drive mine to work and such too! Too much private farm land here to ride anywhere.....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Christisk: I lived in Minnesota for over 25 years. I move away, and the street legal ATV law is passed. My luck. I consider Minnesota very nice, especially north and east of the Minnesota River. What's fun about Minnesota is all the lakes and rivers. There are pretty places we could organize an ATV ride with some friends around a nice lake and thoroughly enjoy ourselves. It isn't off road challenging, but it is a whole lot better than our ATVs sitting in the garage. When I lived there, ATVs were getting bad press for tearing up wetlands up north. IIRC some trails were either closed or in danger of being closed. Minnesotans love their wetlands and I was one of them. Now, by the ability to ride on secondary roads, we can ride on the gravel road that runs in the same direction as the trail.

muddydogs: I'm quite glad you haven't had any bad adventures with your street ridding. I was cringing when you talked about someone shadowing you in the right lane. Just like riding a motorcycle, ATV riders have to be super defensive. I'll bet you ride on the roads with your lights on. In fact, my new Outlander tail lights are "always on". It is wired that way. I wonder if the European CE models are wired with headlights always on. Most motorcycles are anymore. The visibility helps.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do ride with my lights on that's for sure.

I would hate to impose restrictions on riding ATV's on the street but sometime I wounder if there shouldn't be a ATV street course like the motorcycle course most states have? My thinking is that if people have never road a motorcycle on the street they might not be aware of certain things like lane position, watching your back side when setting at a light and having an escape plan, and just the general what to do to be seen better.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Can Am dealer signed me up for an ATV safety course next spring. I've watched the Can Am safety video and expect the safety course will be along the same lines.

Those with motorcycle licenses will be better prepared to ride an ATV on public roads. Like you say, there are many similarities in terms of self defense. It wouldn't surprise if some states required a "competency demonstration" and issue a special driver's license. I had to do this to get my school bus driver's license.

Heck, I'd jump through several Colorado government hoops if I could then legally ride my Can Am on 45 mph or less secondary roads. It would add so much more value to the ownership experience.

David

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good for you on taking the ATV rider course. I've been teaching the ASI ridercourse for 15 years and have found no matter how good a rider thinks they are at the end of the day they learn something new or get reminded of something they forgot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I´m living in Belgium and I can tell you that 99,9% of all ATV´s driving over here are street legal.
I use mine 90% of the time on-road because we dont have those vast areas where you can go to and do some off road driving. Only unpaved roads for getting to our field are open for the public.
Head and tail lights are allways on when you start the ATV . You are just able to switch back and forth between low and high beam.
Its common for us to see an ATV on road in general traffic altough they run very thin in numbers.

Greetz

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi johnjeep and welcome to the Can Am ATV Forums: I kinda figured your machine would be street legal. I believe I read Can Am builds all European export ATV to the European standards and carries the CE mark. It probably costs a lot to license and insure the ATV, but you can use the machine for many more purposes.

I wonder if your European Can Am has a true differential in the rear, or is it a "live" axle where both wheels are locked together, meaning in sharp turns, you are going to get some tire scrub or even a bit of "hopping". Both rear wheels turn at the same RPM all the time. My USA Can Am is a live rear axle machine. The front differential on my machine is a true differential allowing different rotational speeds of the front wheels for smooth steering. I think the live rear axles in the USA is one reason why Can Am states the machine was not designed for hard surface riding, like streets and highways. No mirrors, horn or turn signals is another of course.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts