Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
46 hours on my new 2013 Outlander 800 MAX XT. I was out riding yesterday and tried shifting into low and the level arm felt different and more free, and I could not get it into low. I took the plastic covers off of the bike and sure enough, the shift arm base (basically a pivot point for the gear shift lever, P/N 707000971) was broken.

I called my local dealer and they helped me find the part number and ordered one. I asked if they would replace it under warranty.... NOPE. A $4.32 part would not be covered under my warranty that I'm paying extra every month for because it was broken by "force". Well no crap, Can-Am. The gear shift levers ARE hard to shift sometimes!!! :th_smiliefrustrated

So now I'm waiting 4 business days to go pick up this cheap plastic part. And I'm going to be putting it on myself because it will take 5 mins to do and I'm sure the dealer will charge labor to do it. I guess I should have ordered two so I have an extra one on the bike when the next one breaks...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You're the first person I hear that broke that piece.
I'd rather pay 4$ for the part straight up than the 50$ deductible for the warranty.

If your having issues shifting you might have other issues like seized one-way bearings on the primary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're the first person I hear that broke that piece.
I'd rather pay 4$ for the part straight up than the 50$ deductible for the warranty.

If your having issues shifting you might have other issues like seized one-way bearings on the primary.
2021 cam am 450 Outlander. Same problem 6 hour on the quad and the shift arm base broke. My basic warrantee is good until March of 2022. I also purchased extended warranty for $1,600 and they said covered until March of 2025. All in the $8 part that I can buy oem on Amazon that would arrive in 2 days took the dealer 30 days to get part and fix to then tell me I have to pay $278. What part of bumper to bumper warranty did I miss. What joke. I would have never brought to dealer to fix an $8 part with 4 bolts if I knew they didn't cover a faulty plastic part that is now being made in aluminum aftermarket for $17 on Amazon. This is a terrible customer experience.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,762 Posts
I replaced mine with an aluminium bracket during Christmas break to make sure this does not happen to me.

Reactions: Tozguy and Kusa

·
Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,048 Posts
Quite normal for that bracket to break. You can get an aluminum one from several different dealers. I am considering buying one soon before my plastic one breaks.

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
I am considering buying one soon before my plastic one breaks.
I bought mine from eBay. Paid $13 for it + tax. I was very impressed with its quality and fit. The product page has been since removed so I couldn't drop you the link.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,915 Posts
Last I looked, Canampartsguy has 'em

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
2021 cam am 450 Outlander. Same problem 6 hour on the quad and the shift arm base broke. My basic warrantee is good until March of 2022. I also purchased extended warranty for $1,600 and they said covered until March of 2025. All in the $8 part that I can buy oem on Amazon that would arrive in 2 days took the dealer 30 days to get part and fix to then tell me I have to pay $278. What part of bumper to bumper warranty did I miss. What joke. I would have never brought to dealer to fix an $8 part with 4 bolts if I knew they didn't cover a faulty plastic part that is now being made in aluminum aftermarket for $17 on Amazon. This is a terrible customer experience.
Why would warranty pay for a part like that? 90% of the time they break because their is tension on the driveline and people just try to cram them in gear instead of taking the tension off the driveline (slight rock of the machine) and shifting easily... I have yet to brake mine on my 2020 with 4000km.. I would have never tried warranty on that I would have just purchase the alum upgrade

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts
46 hours on my new 2013 Outlander 800 MAX XT. I was out riding yesterday and tried shifting into low and the level arm felt different and more free, and I could not get it into low. I took the plastic covers off of the bike and sure enough, the shift arm base (basically a pivot point for the gear shift lever, P/N 707000971) was broken.

I called my local dealer and they helped me find the part number and ordered one. I asked if they would replace it under warranty.... NOPE. A $4.32 part would not be covered under my warranty that I'm paying extra every month for because it was broken by "force". Well no crap, Can-Am. The gear shift levers ARE hard to shift sometimes!!! :th_smiliefrustrated

So now I'm waiting 4 business days to go pick up this cheap plastic part. And I'm going to be putting it on myself because it will take 5 mins to do and I'm sure the dealer will charge labor to do it. I guess I should have ordered two so I have an extra one on the bike when the next one breaks...
My 9y.o. 650XT shifter base also broke down on my last ride. There was enough play in the base/ linkeage to manhandle the shifts to get back to the trucks. I figured some pivot point broke or nut fell off.
I've recently found a new "wrench" guy that used to work at the local CanAm dealer, I called and he said bring it over. I did, arriving at 1:30, he popped off the 3 plastic toggles holding the side cover on and there was the broken "shifter base" hanging off the bottom of the shifter rod. When I saw how flimsy the part was, I wasn't surprised it broke after 9 YEARS of the CAN AM hump and the struggling with shifting.
Anyway, he jumped on his laptop and found the part at the dealership 10 min away: I called and they had ONE..I rsced over and got it for $7 CDN and took it back to the shop. Ten minutes later, he had it "in" and working ~fine...for a CanAm.
Whole Job was done in an hour..he billed 1/2 hr labor, I was happy with that. I was NEVER HAPPY leaving my machine with the local service dept..problems with them over the years. I'd recommend this guy at "87Motorsports.com" over the local DLR any day.
"In AND out in ONE HOUR" great service at a reasonable price !
BTW, CanAm has changed their original part number for a THIRD TIME now as they keep chasing the problem..cheap flimsy part which undergoes a lot of (shifting) pressure.

There are now several CRC metal options online from Amazon and others from $24-45. Nextime.. In
Why would warranty pay for a part like that? 90% of the time they break because their is tension on the driveline and people just try to cram them in gear instead of taking the tension off the driveline (slight rock of the machine) and shifting easily... I have yet to brake mine on my 2020 with 4000km.. I would have never tried warranty on that I would have just purchase the alum upgrade

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
A10

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
My 9y.o. 650XT shifter base also broke down on my last ride. There was enough play in the base/ linkeage to manhandle the shifts to get back to the trucks. I figured some pivot point broke or nut fell off.
I've recently found a new "wrench" guy that used to work at the local CanAm dealer, I called and he said bring it over. I did, arriving at 1:30, he popped off the 3 plastic toggles holding the side cover on and there was the broken "shifter base" hanging off the bottom of the shifter rod. When I saw how flimsy the part was, I wasn't surprised it broke after 9 YEARS of the CAN AM hump and the struggling with shifting.
Anyway, he jumped on his laptop and found the part at the dealership 10 min away: I called and they had ONE..I rsced over and got it for $7 CDN and took it back to the shop. Ten minutes later, he had it "in" and working ~fine...for a CanAm.
Whole Job was done in an hour..he billed 1/2 hr labor, I was happy with that. I was NEVER HAPPY leaving my machine with the local service dept..problems with them over the years. I'd recommend this guy at "87Motorsports.com" over the local DLR any day.
"In AND out in ONE HOUR" great service at a reasonable price !
BTW, CanAm has changed their original part number for a THIRD TIME now as they keep chasing the problem..cheap flimsy part which undergoes a lot of (shifting) pressure.

There are now several CRC metal options online from Amazon and others from $24-45. Nextime.. In

A10
Switch to the aluminum one and be done with it for life. No way I'd put a plastic one back in there.

Reactions: Tozguy

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Going to follow suit!
Amazon.ca has many versions in the 25$ to 50$ bracket and has me wondering if there is any appreciable difference in quality of the more expensive ones?
Naaah. They're all the same more or less. Just a chunk of aluminium. I paid $13 for mine from eBay. Don't overpay.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,016 Posts
That new aluminum bracket is really nice. It looks to be CNC'd from billet. But when I came to install it I was also favourably impressed by the plastic OEM one. Maybe it is an upgraded one.

So I decided to give it a chance and hold off installing the aluminum one. It is not my style to use extreme force when shifting. But if something has to give I would rather break the plastic bracket than rip a metal one off the air box.

·
Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,048 Posts
You would bend the shift rod before you would break the aluminum bracket 😉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts