Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so like everyone else im tired of my $14,000 "piglet" (thanks Trickride) squeaking all the dang time. Its embarrassing!

As always i grease all my zerks after every ride, still squeaks. I was planning on buying GP Bushings to get rid of this problem.

Well over the past couple days ive been doing my 50hr maintanence, engine oil, gearbox and diffs. Well i decided to take the time to grease my shocks today too as the manual reccomends.

WOW!!!!! I greased the hiem/bearing in the shock, the o-rings, the sleeves and the bolts too. No more sqeaky piglet! Not even a peep!

I always kinda thought this might be the culprit and would spray them with wd-40, no worky - still sqeaky.

Anyhow, long story short: if your bike is squeaky, grease the shocks! I still plan to upgrade my bushing to GP's, but it can wait for now.

Im sure some of you do this on a regular basis, but i hadnt. I daaang sure will from now on. Anyhow this is my observation/suggestion for the day.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The shock bushings on my maverick were just terrible. It only had 13 hours on it but most of them were all but siezed. I cleaned them well and worked marine grease into the ball. Heavysledz on mav forums sells some nice o-rings that seal way better than the stockers. I have to check and see if they work on the outty.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
WD40 is NOT a lubricant. Its a water disperser and cleaner. You need to use a lubricating spray next time.
I have never lubed mine, but mine NEVER goes in the mud and after 1,200 miles mine don't squeak at all.
I just bought some Hygear dual rate springs, so I';ll be removing the shocks eventually and I will grease them for sure then!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you are correct, i sprayed the wd on them to see if the squeak would stop when i worked the suspenstion up and down.(says "stops squeaks" right on the bottle so it must work right? Lol) Wd will lubricate temporarily, but yes is mostly just a penetrant.

Able: i also used amsoil marine grease for the shocks, im hoping the marine grade stuff will last longer and be more water resistant.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i know this is a SUPER old thread, but i noticed yesterday my shocks started squeaking. When he's talking about lubing the shocks, was he talking about putting lube/grease on the chrome 'rod' itself?

·
Registered
589 Posts
i knew it sounded silly to grease the rod lol.. thanks.. mine is getting squeaky so i figured i would ask before i picked up some lube.. thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts