Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Motorcycle mechanic and new atv owner. My second is a vintage bombardier which is a canam essentially. From what I see they are built like any other european bike, think ktm,bmw,ducati etc vs honda ,suzuki kawasaki etc. These cultures do build vehicles differently it is baked into who they are. I hear the same comments here about more maintenance but also more fun that i do on Ducati forums. Some of it is true but also there are many myths that brands get tagged with.

My bombardier is a old design but you can see quality and upgraded components over my Kawaski atv, does that make it better? No it means the parts are maybe higher spec or quality but it was still a human assembling it that did not tighten the flywheel bolts and caused a failure. could happen to any brand but you do see trends on forums sometimes to problem areas. I have not torn into a modern canam and time can have good AND bad effects on a brand so others here will know how current models are.

I see many parts for my 2001 were discontinued by 2013 so expect a 10 year parts availability or at least research parts past the 10 year point to see how you will be if you keep the atv long term vs trading up every few years. Honda in Motorcycles is quite good with supporting old models I can go back to the 80's before I find parts dropping off the availability lists. One metric you may look at is how many old Honda's are still running vs how many can-ams, I see Honda's all the time but few can-am's might be due to fewer sold though.

As a new atv rider and race track motorcyclist I could not care less about power at this point, I simply do not miss what I do not know. If you start with either and do basic maintenance you will likely be fine. You may find that after you start playing with it you enjoy riding more than you thought and at that point what you do may change, If you buy a tractor yes it may do what you need but the atv may do that and more. Even a utility atv can be fun much like a sv650 can be just as fun as a gsxr1000 just different.

Most of what I see is misuse and abuse, but I am coming from a motorcycle background. Atvs are mostly rode hard and put away wet so if you do a minimum of care and maintenance you should be fine with either, ignore it with either at your peril.

Hey guys, I'm looking at selling my motorcycle and picking up a 4-wheeler.
For the 4-Wheeler, I'm just going to use it to haul firewood, deer, corn/minerals, maybe get an attachment to till up some small food plots, and do some light trail riding. While I am mechanically inclined, I won't have a ton of time to do a lot of maintenance with my job taking up a lot of my time.
Found a dealer that has a 570 DPS for $7,600 and will give me $2,000 for my bike.
Gonna try to get a Warn 3500 winch thrown in, but we'll see.

would like someone to ride her like she should be ridden.
In reverse order

That's what I said about my girlfriend when she left me.

For the number of times you will need a winch, buy a $49 HFT special.

There's a dealer out there telling his wife "I found a guy who'll take that 570 for retail and throw in his bike! It's Christmas baby!"

I've got a 2004 330 I bought used, replaced the electrical (what? Alternator) myself (RMSTATSOR < $100) and replaced a battery. I put non-alcohol gas in it and use it for chores - like dragging felled trees down the mountain to cut 'em up into firewood closer to the hearth, move chicken feed and dog food (50#) bags around and drag garden wagons about to move firewood, mulch, whatever. Built racks to hold the essential tools (Chain saws, fuel can, chain oil, chains (amazing how a simple chain can drag a heavy log back home - or two or three small ones)!

What drew me to the Bombardier (at the time I bought it) was the independent suspension on all four wheels. Several of the competitive models had straight rear axles which (I believed) made for a less comfortable and safer ride over rough terrain.

I have never changed the oil! I have torn up the little boots that protect the joints on the front axle and on one rear axle and may have picked up a nail as I noticed the right rear tire was low last night.

Sell your motorcycle to the same guy the dealer has in mind and buy your ATV based upon the WORK you want it to do (but know that a rear tine tiller can be rented each season way cheaper than owning one). When I got mine (9-10 yrs ago), the seller threw in a cover and a trailer for the $1,200.00. And, tiller designed to be towed behind an ATV is going to cost you more than a simple Rear Tine Machine and prove more difficult to sell when you realize you don't use it often enough.

A dealer is well named. Same thing they call those guys at the Card Tables in Vegas. You're in no rush, you're looking for a tool that offers an opportunity to run on some trails and do the work that needs to be done (or are these simply rationalizations told to the significant (and self) other to justify a new toy with a WARN Winch?).

Just for kicks, write out a check to the dealership for $5,500.00, sign it, an offer it to the dealer for the ATV. And, if he says "No." Simply thank him and tell him you'll hang on to the check in case he changes his mind.

By the way, did 'the dealer' put that 'offer' in writing? Or is that yet to come (along with surprising little extras like shop fees, delivery, dealer prep and title work on your bike).

Watch the Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, etc. Sooner or later you'll find a seller who wants that new yeller 990 so bad he'll give you his dog if you pay him cash for his bike. Or a fool who got in over his head and really needs the cash. Etc.

And, if you'll trade your bike to a 'dealer,' that "someone who'll ride it" business is sheer malarkey!

Good luck!

It sounds like you need a tractor. Get a Small Kubota and forget the ATV
Funny, I was thinking the same thing 'till I read "I'm really drawn to the power and looks of the Can-Am "

The only folks who get to see the 'looks' of the CanAm are those you pass with your load of firewood. Why buy a bike for them?

There no point in greasing every 1-2 miles. I probably do mine at every 100miles. General maintenance is required but it’s not a machine that breaks every ride in fact I’ve never had it break on me in the woods. I use mine for hunting around the farm and riding woods. I don’t have a plastic burning problem and I think that’s only in a really hot day and riding for many miles. I like can am more than Honda’s just because the way they’re built. You have more space on the seat and My dad and I can easily fit on the seat comfortably and we’re both big fellas. On a Honda that don’t work. I noticed can ams have the best engine and they have both lots of top and bottom end. You can’t go wrong with a can am. A Honda is a more chill farm atv it’s not built like a can am.

Why do people say Outlanders need so much maintenance? For what he suggested he needs the Quad for he shouldn't need to go crazy with it. Grease doesn't disappear in a month.

I've kept mine outside with a cover the last 10 years mostly use it for hauling wood, plowing and a mixture of lite swamp, rock and trail riding. I have 3500 miles on the original belt and the only major pita I had to deal with was the gas tank issue and associated clogged carb. Other issues were a frozen foot brake fixed by wd-40. The ever popular regulator going bad. The hoses that vent the belt housing also went bad. Mice got into the machine and caused a few issues but that's no fault of the machine and led me to keep it out of the shed.

What are considered common problems from not greasing or other problems common? Maybe I've been just lucky but that usually isn't the case for me. Lol.

I am going to video taking off the cover and inspecting the belt when I get a chance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I don't understand all this maintenance, I have an 2009 Outlander that I purchased in 2010, it has over 4000 miles on it. We trail rode quite a bit until 2019, now used mostly for wood and around house. very little maintenance has been done. No problems with the exception of new brake shoes, it is stored inside.

Agreed, and if not for ethanol gas I probably wouldn't have needed to bother with the gas tank or carb either.

I'd also recommend a good Warn winch as the cheap ones have really crappy brakes on them. I replaced mine three times because the swisher plow is heavy and cheap winches can't hold the plow or bucket especially when loaded. I am on my third synthetic rope and it's still going strong. A couple of weeks ago I lifted the whole quad out of the swamp on a high tree branch. To me a winch is essential.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Can am will handle all the work you can throw at it np.
I think maintenance depends on the rider... some do it, some dont care. Can am doesnt require any more than any other brand imo I would be doing the same to any other quad except I wouldnt worry about keeping fresh oil in it as much as I do, probably.

I agree with the "think of it as a hot rod" analogy, so to me, fresh oil is important. Its not like parts randomly break or the systems go down for no reason. Can ams are just as reliable and dependable as any other brand. Its just, if you want your machine running tip top, youll give it the tlc it deserves.
I grease every month or so, change oil every couple of weekends, havent had to touch brake pads since I went with severe duty..

with the occasional fun trail riding.
This is why you buy can am ^^^
It'll turn every ride home after work into a fun trail ride!
Any other quad would just be a putt home to me.
Can am = zoom ZOOM!

Have you ridden both?
Test ride the two youve narrowed it down to.
Solid choices both.
Compare the seat on the can am and the honda...then hit the throttle ;)

Hi Dopey 71182,
I have had a Honda TRX300 since 1997 and an Outlander 450 since 2015. I use both for the same type of work as you. The Outlander has already required more maintenance than the Honda!!! Not serious stuff I admit but just to get to the business end of the Outlander is a real PITA!!!! So much so that I have now left all the plastic covers off permanently. i recently had to service the CVT (one way brg) and that in itself is more work than I have had to do on the Honda in 23 yrs!
However, The Outlander is much nicer to ride and importantly is more ground clearance. I think maybe it is more stable than the Honda....I have rolled the Honda twice but this is yet to happen with the Can am.
The Outlander definitely sounds way better when you give it a bit of throttle!!!!!! Important?????
Cheers.
Bill.

Plenty may not like what i am about to say but it follows what gpigeon just said. However I would guess based on my motorcycle experience the ease of maintenance may be more due to old technology vs new. In Motorcycles there is a never ending move towards more technology, more power,lighter weight and easier use. This often leads to mass centralization which simply means more stuff crammed into a small space.

You would think that they would make the machines easy to do basic service on but this often does not seem to be a thought in their heads. This is bad for the home mechanic as well as the person who pays to get work done, time = money. Those low tech old designs simply do not need as much maintenance, but they will not have the performance of one that does have modern features. Not all features will make it hard to work on and not all brands do things the hard way but in my world working full time on bikes I can tell you that every new model is incrementally harder to do simple service on than the last.

I shop for bikes based on what they do about 50% of the time the other parts are 20% parts availability and 30% ease of service. I have very few bikes newer than 2010 that i would consider for this reason. My old bombardier is a mix of easy and hard so not bad but compared to my 7 year older kawasaki it is harder to do the same tasks.

If you want it to be fun on the trails get a can am. Unfortunately I think can am are kinda crap when it comes to "work". The throttle engagement is abrupt, put anything on the tow hitch and the rear end damn near bottoms out, and they do have a bit of a heat issue if they aren't moving. Greasing the suspension wouldn't be much of an issue if you stay away from water and mud but you still do need to grease the u joints often. It's also going to rip up your lawn. I stand and lean outside the turn to 3 wheel it in my yard so I don't tear it up when turning.

I say if anything get a cam am for the trails and a John Deere for yard work. I still have a JD from like '86 that gets used for mowing and has a snow thrower attachment for winter. The thing still starts right up and runs like a swiss watch.

In reverse order

That's what I said about my girlfriend when she left me.

For the number of times you will need a winch, buy a $49 HFT special.

There's a dealer out there telling his wife "I found a guy who'll take that 570 for retail and throw in his bike! It's Christmas baby!"

I've got a 2004 330 I bought used, replaced the electrical (what? Alternator) myself (RMSTATSOR < $100) and replaced a battery. I put non-alcohol gas in it and use it for chores - like dragging felled trees down the mountain to cut 'em up into firewood closer to the hearth, move chicken feed and dog food (50#) bags around and drag garden wagons about to move firewood, mulch, whatever. Built racks to hold the essential tools (Chain saws, fuel can, chain oil, chains (amazing how a simple chain can drag a heavy log back home - or two or three small ones)!

What drew me to the Bombardier (at the time I bought it) was the independent suspension on all four wheels. Several of the competitive models had straight rear axles which (I believed) made for a less comfortable and safer ride over rough terrain.

I have never changed the oil! I have torn up the little boots that protect the joints on the front axle and on one rear axle and may have picked up a nail as I noticed the right rear tire was low last night.

Sell your motorcycle to the same guy the dealer has in mind and buy your ATV based upon the WORK you want it to do (but know that a rear tine tiller can be rented each season way cheaper than owning one). When I got mine (9-10 yrs ago), the seller threw in a cover and a trailer for the $1,200.00. And, tiller designed to be towed behind an ATV is going to cost you more than a simple Rear Tine Machine and prove more difficult to sell when you realize you don't use it often enough.

A dealer is well named. Same thing they call those guys at the Card Tables in Vegas. You're in no rush, you're looking for a tool that offers an opportunity to run on some trails and do the work that needs to be done (or are these simply rationalizations told to the significant (and self) other to justify a new toy with a WARN Winch?).

Just for kicks, write out a check to the dealership for $5,500.00, sign it, an offer it to the dealer for the ATV. And, if he says "No." Simply thank him and tell him you'll hang on to the check in case he changes his mind.

By the way, did 'the dealer' put that 'offer' in writing? Or is that yet to come (along with surprising little extras like shop fees, delivery, dealer prep and title work on your bike).

Watch the Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, etc. Sooner or later you'll find a seller who wants that new yeller 990 so bad he'll give you his dog if you pay him cash for his bike. Or a fool who got in over his head and really needs the cash. Etc.

And, if you'll trade your bike to a 'dealer,' that "someone who'll ride it" business is sheer malarkey!

Good luck!
one thousand percent would recommend Can Am, my outlander 570 has been rolled twice, had the axle and tires tied extremely tight with rope, and had been radiator deep in mud. Can Am for life!

one thousand percent would recommend Can Am, my outlander 570 has been rolled twice, had the axle and tires tied extremely tight with rope, and had been radiator deep in mud. Can Am for life!
It has also been hit with an 8 foot steel post going 55mph, not a single problem with any of these things. Also the stock skid plates on mine can handle anything.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.