Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my 10 hr service on my 2013 gade with 20 hrs and 198 miles. I decided to change the front and rear differential oil even though the manual suggest the front being changed at 200 hrs or 4000 miles and the rear at 100 hrs or 2000 miles. The oil has a ton of silver flake in it. Is this normal? I don't abused my machine. I followed the proper break in procedure. I replace the front and rear diff oil with AMSOIL 75-140. Check out the attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Exactly why I changed all my fluids much earlier than needed the first time.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I would flush it out a few times (to get all the silver shaving out) fill it with a synthetic lub and check it out periodically to make sure that it stayed clean.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would you flush it with? I would rather not flush it with a 15 dollar quart of Amsoil 75-140.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I would use the cheapest 75-140 oil I could find, run it around a little bet and then drain it (I would just jack a 4 tires off the ground and run it in gear). On the final flush I would let it drain out over night before putting the good stuff in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know the size and thread type for the rear differential drain plug? I know its a 3/16 allen. I'm talking about the thread pattern. My brand new one is almost stripped out I barely got it out to due the oil change. Part Shark only says its a drain plug. Have no idea why it's in the condition it's in. Steel plug in an aluminum case I guess. Definitely putting anti-seize on the new one if I can find one.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Not sure of the size, but you can buy one here (assuming you have an 800, if not double check to make sure)

2013 Can-Am RENEGADE 800R EFI STD & XXC Drive System, Rear | CyclePartsNation Can-Am Parts House

Part #41.

With that being said, that seems like alot of wear metal in the oil. I've only seen that much color in the oil of my old rock crawler and I had to do a full rebuild shortly after. If your out of warranty flushing is the only thing you can do but I would keep a close eye on it in the near future.
Also, if your going to do the quick fill n dump and just run it on jack stands I wouldn't waste the money on 75w/140. You can get 80w/90 much cheaper and your diff will never know the difference if your not doing any riding.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it's a 800 and still under warranty. 80/90 synthetic or can I use regular non synthetic. I though it wasn't good mix synthetic and conventional oil?? It seems OK I don't hear or feel anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
There's nothing wrong with changing from synthetic to non synthetic to flush the diff. If a spec calls for synthetic then I certainly would only run synthetic, but FLUSHING with a conventional lube won't hurt a thing. Your only doing this to get the contaminants out.

How long is left on the warranty? I'd save that oil in case you need to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 years on extended warranty left. Yes I will definitely save the oil and take pic of the receipt next to the dash showing the hrs/miles. Hope I don't need to go that route.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yep another failing diff , the backlash is out of spec already , so it will eat itself , your pinion gear will wear first and the teeth will get real brittle and thin and will wait to you hit the gas once to many times and snap a few teeth off the pionin gear . And if your lucky will only take a few teeth off the ring gear and not destroy anything else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can tell by the oil color? It's starting to fail? Should I take it to the dealer and use the warranty? They just did the 10 hr service.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I'm not worried about the 15 dollars. It's the amsoil I don't want to waste if I don't have to. It's hard to find around me and I only have one quart left.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What size tires are you running , stock ? If so the diff will last a long time , I wouldn't worry about it , the dealer may replace it , but more then likely will say it's fine and let it ride . Flush it out a few times and then ride it , then replace the oil in another 300 miles or so and see what it looks like , if it's the same as before , your pinion gear is slowly flaking away to it gets to thin .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes stock tires. I'm draining the front as I type. Let's see what color that is. I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You should be fine for a long time running stock tires, it will take a long time before it gets to that point like the one in pic. I wouldn't worry about to much it, and change it again in 300 miles or so and see if it is as bad . I sometimes think can am rear diff is a wear item !!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts