Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Silver State OHV Trail System

3103 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  MoparToYou
I took a total of six trips to the Silver State OHV Trail System in the last year, exploring the more than 600 miles worth of trails. This is reported to be the first congressionally designated OHV trail system in the nation.

Here is a link to their web page:
The Dirt: Silver State Trail System | OFF-ROAD Nevada (nv.gov)

If you enjoy wide open spaces, this trail system has plenty to offer. Scenery is typical high desert, with elevations ranging from 4000 to 7000 ft. I spent six full days exploring the trail system, and covered over 600 miles, without seeing another person. I used three separate machines to do the exploring, a Polaris RS1, a Can Am Maverick X3 XRS, and a Jeep Rubicon. The east side of the loop can be reached from Pioche, Panaca, and Caliente, NV. The west side of the loop is quite isolated. Carry extra fuel and water with you. Here are some pictures from my trips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,116 Posts
Wow! this is awesome!
Where would you spend the night? Or would you return back to civilization at the end of each day?
How would you review the 3 machines you used?

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I returned to civilization each night.

Most comfortable ride: The X3 XRS. It had suspension that had been reworked by Shock Therapy, and it was incredibly plush, and easily the best suspension of any machine I've ever owned. It was a very loud machine in the cockpit though, and almost impossible to talk to your passenger because of the noise.

Fastest for covering the trail in a hurry: The Polaris RS1. And not because of power and suspension. Although power and suspension were good, it was the nimbleness and handling of the RS1 that made it spectacular. You could just fly through the tight sections of trail compared to thr other machines. But you couldn't carry a passenger, so each day in the RS1 was a day spent solo riding.

Quiet, comfortable, climate controlled: The Jeep Rubicon was best for this. But you had to be quite careful to not exceed the limited capabilities of its suspension. Just like any Jeep in that regard.

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,116 Posts
I returned to civilization each night.

Most comfortable ride: The X3 XRS. It had suspension that had been reworked by Shock Therapy, and it was incredibly plush, and easily the best suspension of any machine I've ever owned. It was a very loud machine in the cockpit though, and almost impossible to talk to your passenger because of the noise.

Fastest for covering the trail in a hurry: The Polaris RS1. And not because of power and suspension. Although power and suspension were good, it was the nimbleness and handling of the RS1 that made it spectacular. You could just fly through the tight sections of trail compared to thr other machines. But you couldn't carry a passenger, so each day in the RS1 was a day spent solo riding.

Quiet, comfortable, climate controlled: The Jeep Rubicon was best for this. But you had to be quite careful to not exceed the limited capabilities of its suspension. Just like any Jeep in that regard.
This is an awesome writeup really. Your reviews are always thorough. Thanks for sharing.

I hear nothing but amazing stuff about the X3. I haven't tried one yet, but will try to this summer.

As for the RS1, I never knew it existed until now. I thought it was an Ace. Now I know the difference.

I wonder how a Can-am Defender for example, with AC, would compare to the Jeep Rubicon. Interesting.

Reactions: Hunter420

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,242 Posts
That's cool as hell, Mopar, nice!

Sounds like something you could bring the younguns along on, make a primitive overnight "cowboy campout" of the trip, sleep under the stars (or tent,lol) (y)

Great pics

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will you please give me a call at the Caliente Field Office (Bureau of Land Management) 8 would like to use a few of your pictures in a guide we hand out. 775-726-8100
Can you please give me a name of someone to ask for when I call your office. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.