Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2012 Can Am Commander 1000 Limited with 145 hours and 746 miles on it. It appeared to be in good physical and mechanical shape on the test ride. It started to make a single “pop” sound upon take off, back up or going into turn. I was told to check slip joint/U joints in rear prop shaft. I removed it and it’s in great shape. Any ideas on what to check next?

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
What year?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Between the secondary clutch and the gearbox these have a bit of slack that is taken up when you take off from a stop.

As long as u joints are good in rear driveshaft and not a ton of play in rear diff then everything is fine and a little noise is normal.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: reliefvalv

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Could be a CV in one of the axles…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,698 Posts
Or a little wear on the helix

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your thoughts. I did remove the rear prop drive (no fun, but doable) and had 3 people look at it. All of them concurred that the Ujoints and the slip joints were fine. The CV’s also appear to be in good shape (little to no noise or slop). Again, this machine only has 145 hours on it, do these have tranny issues regularly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the normal amount of noise (or clunk) reveal itself when you go into a turn as well? It does this going fast or slow and it will only do it once (so far). It is more of a loud pop thank a clunk in my mind.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A CV that is going out will “click click click”, or “pop pop pop” when going in a circle. A rear one will do it all the time, a front one will likely only do it if in 4wd. All it takes is the boot to have been torn once and replaced, or a tiny pin hole in a boot that allowed dirt or water in. Even the tiniest bit of grit will make a CV noisy. It may run for years like that, it may blow up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts