Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

So first ride with the skid plates installed and hammer the front skid into a rock. Yes it did its job but the 2 bolts at the back pulled right out. Had anyone had success hammering out a dent using heat etc or is it just a one off and replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,204 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
That looks like a Can am skid plate. Mine looks worse, all it takes is a big rock/boulder to come down on at high speed or off a jump. I'm not bothering with pounding out, it will just get pounded again plus you sort of weaken the spot being pounded out. Its what the plate is for anyway and means the ATV is being ridden the way it should be!

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a Can am skid plate. Mine looks worse, all it takes is a big rock/boulder to come down on at high speed or off a jump. I'm not bothering with pounding out, it will just get pounded again plus you sort of weaken the spot being pounded out. Its what the plate is for anyway and means the ATV is being ridden the way it should be!

Yes it's the brp skid plate. It was a really big dent significant enough that I don't think it would've bolted on properly at the back. It knocked the 2 rear bolts out don't ask me how. I'm replacing it with bigger carriage bolts and putting fender washers in so they will never get knocked out again. And no I won't be hammering out every little dent but this one needed it. I actually saw the rock but expected to have the ground clearance to get over it but I was very wrong. Won't be making that mistake again.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
453 Posts
Just wondering about the stronger bolts for the rear, sounds like the original bolts acted as shear pins, might be a good thing they gave without mangling the frame.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,104 Posts
That skid plate did it's job, imagine what you would be fixing if you did not have that skid plate.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wondering about the stronger bolts for the rear, sounds like the original bolts acted as shear pins, might be a good thing they gave without mangling the frame.
You're exactly right, I thought about that too and they probably sheared off like they were designed to. Original were M6 bolts which is equivalent to about 1/4". I was thinking about going up to 5/16" which isn't much bigger but I'll probably just leave it as it was.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That skid plate did it's job, imagine what you would be fixing if you did not have that skid plate.
I don't want to imagine lol, also without that skid plate I don't think I would've attempted going straight over that rock. I usually play the avoidance game to spare the underside of the machine. I overestimated the ground clearance I had. That's a one time mistake believe me.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now when you say stock are you meaning the plastic junk that comes on it or the can am skids like this?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Now when you say stock are you meaning the plastic junk that comes on it or the can am skids like this?
All stock plastic skids. It's rocky here, I run a good pace, stock are not junk.

Please tell me why they are junk.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All stock plastic skids. It's rocky here, I run a good pace, stock are not junk.

The one piece plastic I took off mine that's probably 1/8" thick would've been demolished by that rock I hit. I'm just saying the amount you pay for a machine can am could step up and include something more substantial for protecting the frame. I'm your neighbor in nova Scotia it's all rocks here that plastic wouldn't last 1 season of riding.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Because they are thin and offer next to no real protection. Mine was broke the second ride by a well placed rock

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because they are thin and offer next to no real protection. Mine was broke the second ride by a well placed rock

Exactly, I had a 1000 scrambler before this and even on a cheaper machine the stock plastic skidplates were more substantial. At least twice as thick as what's on a can am. All I'm saying is for a brand that's supposed to be top of the line (it sure is in price) you'd expect a bit more. I mean whatever I shelled out the extra for the aluminum skids and it held up to a hard hit so I can't complain about that.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts

They're thicker than the aluminum. I've hit many rocks. It's still there.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Exactly, I had a 1000 scrambler before this and even on a cheaper machine the stock plastic skidplates were more substantial. At least twice as thick as what's on a can am. All I'm saying is for a brand that's supposed to be top of the line (it sure is in price) you'd expect a bit more. I mean whatever I shelled out the extra for the aluminum skids and it held up to a hard hit so I can't complain about that.
Cool. 20k don't lie.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts