Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Nobody said you were a liar, maybe you are extremely lucky to have gone 20k without serious damage. You should buy a lottery ticket.
If anyone has bad luck it's me. I run with lots of guys all with stock skids. Not all that important imo.
Shocks and a 2" riser are more needed.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If anyone has bad luck it's me. I run with lots of guys all with stock skids. Not all that important imo.
Shocks and a 2" riser are more needed.
I don't disagree with that, more ground clearance would be good. I'm eventually going to put on some bigger tires which will help as well.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I don't disagree with that, more ground clearance would be good. I'm eventually going to put on some bigger tires which will help as well.
Riser is for the bars. My elka stage 4 equiped outlander is not higher than stock, it's a bit lower.

Everyone wants a big high bike. They do not handle well at all.

Bar risers are a must on these bikes. Stock bar height is horrible and puts you in an awkward position sitting over them.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah my bad when you said risers i automatically went to thinking lift kit. With a 2" riser on the bars are all the cables still long enough? Throttle, brake etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kind of skid plates you use really comes down to your type of riding. I run a lot off-trail in the alders, trees, and muskeg. I’ve torn a few oem plastic skids and arm protectors completely off when a good sized stick grabs ahold. Even stabbed a few sticks through the stock plate(and fenders). The upgraded aluminum ones stay on and protect the expensive parts. I really prefer the Iron Baltic uhmw skid because it slides over boulders, logs, tussocks, and such much easier than the aluminum.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Buy what you want. But everyone doesn't need aftermarket skids. Stock are quite capable for 99%. And aluminum sucks at sliding over rocks and snow.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with Awful. I'm on my second Outlander, on rocky Appalachian foothills no aftermarket plates. No real problems. Also lots of friction, little flex in aluminum plates. The " plastic " plates on my eyes are superior due to weight, less friction, and easier for us non welders to work on. Plus alot more flex. 6600 combined miles on 2 quads, I still have the original protection intact.
BUT, I do not beat my quad like it owes me money either, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to view some additional photos, but it appears the skid plate certainly did it’s job! bolts and hardware are extremely inexpensive, if that is the type with the expanding nut that goes up into the frame there’s a potential that it was not tightened enough to open the flanges, additionally some plates actually connect up and lock into the mid Location skid plate; so the more you have in some aspect the stronger they are as they work together I want to say that is the case with the OE skid plate “can am”

be happy you had them, I learned the hard way on my first ride not only with my BMW f800 enduro, but with my 21 renegade. This will never happen again, as I factor in the cost of full protection with every off-road vehicle I put into service now

Otherwise it’s my own cheap ass fault.

jd

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
If you've ever tried to remove stock skids you'd know they're locked in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have removed then many times, I am not sure I understand your relative point

Full oem alum skids on 21 renegade 1000
Full oem alum skids on 2016 outlander xmr 1000
Full oem alum skids on 2008 renegade 800

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you've ever tried to remove stock skids you'd know they're locked in.
there is the OE Protective plate that is made out of tinfoil. this does not lock in two the actual skid plates you purchase when you’re looking for protection, this is removed and replaced with a much thicker plate. These much thicker plates interlock
I have included some photos so that you can be a little bit more educated.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Glove Hood Yellow
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I would have to view some additional photos, but it appears the skid plate certainly did it’s job! bolts and hardware are extremely inexpensive, if that is the type with the expanding nut that goes up into the frame there’s a potential that it was not tightened enough to open the flanges, additionally some plates actually connect up and lock into the mid Location skid plate; so the more you have in some aspect the stronger they are as they work together I want to say that is the case with the OE skid plate “can am”

be happy you had them, I learned the hard way on my first ride not only with my BMW f800 enduro, but with my 21 renegade. This will never happen again, as I factor in the cost of full protection with every off-road vehicle I put into service now

Otherwise it’s my own cheap ass fault.

jd
The bolts just had the nylon lock nuts and they were on there tight. But you're right nuts/ bolts are inexpensive to replace. I guess I'll find out this winter how well it slides over snow etc. I'm thinking of painting them black to match the rest of the bike underneath. Who knows maybe the paint will cut down on the friction.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
there is the OE Protective plate that is made out of tinfoil. this does not lock in two the actual skid plates you purchase when you’re looking for protection, this is removed and replaced with a much thicker plate. These much thicker plates interlock
I have included some photos so that you can be a little bit more educated.

View attachment 104035 View attachment 104036
Stock plastic skids. The central one is a real bitch to remove.
So many convince themselves they need skids when the stockers will do just fine. All while bombing around on the $5 stock shocks 😂.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Protection for the frame member is important, also I killed a cv boot in the first week with a stick before the “a arm” plates were installed.
I am a firm believer at least in my location as an aggressive rider northeast skid plates are extremely important, although they make maintenance and cleaning super PIA

i have always had aluminum, i think i would like the plastic!!

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
453 Posts
What kind of skid plates you use really comes down to your type of riding.
After 60 plus hours on my 2021 and the OEM skid plate has survived well. It has skidded over some roots and stumps but it has not been bashed over rocks.
However the day will come that an upgrade BRP skid plate will be installed if only for peace of mind.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts