Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am awaiting the arrival of my 22 Outlander 850 XT-P and I am inquiring if I need skid plates for it. I will be doing a mix of trail which includes rocks and mud. If suggested that skid plates are or should be required, who sells a good set. I seem to be having problems trying to find someone that sells them, and has them in stock. To those that already have them, which one do you like?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2005 Bombardier Outlander 400 Max XT
31 Posts
I put a set of Ricochet plates on my 2005 Outlander. Not only provides great protection but I felt that the machine handled better afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,310 Posts
There are a lot of threads here that beat this topic of skid plates choice to death. Such search and ready away.
You're basically looking at 3 options: OEM, Iron Baltic, or Ricochet.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,363 Posts
Most important accessory! Skid plates should be the first! Myself I have Iron Baltic aluminum and they have saved my machine more times than I care to count.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
683 Posts
My OEM aluminum ones are entirely satisfactory. They can be removed easily for cleaning and maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do the OEM, Iron Baltic, or Ricochet plastic skid plates go on sale in Canada? They are very expensive at current pricing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hello everyone, I am awaiting the arrival of my 22 Outlander 850 XT-P and I am inquiring if I need skid plates for it. I will be doing a mix of trail which includes rocks and mud. If suggested that skid plates are or should be required, who sells a good set. I seem to be having problems trying to find someone that sells them, and has them in stock. To those that already have them, which one do you like?

Thank you in advance.
I put my brand new Ricochet Skids in Black ($150.00 more) on my 2021 1000r XMR in December. With exchange , shipping and Canada taxes I was about $950 all in. Easy to install. If you have a winch it will be even easier. I lift my ATV up with the winch so it is easier to install middle skid and brackets. There is lots of videos on Y-Tube to help out if it is your first time. Just to add I chose Ricochet Aluminum. I have Tracks that I put on in the winter months , so front a-arm plates and rear plate need to come off and Ricochet I found is the easiest to to re/re.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
We have Ricochet on both our XMRs ...would definitely buy them again...another thing to think about besides the added protection of skids is that skids will add extra rigidity to the overall frame of the machine...

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only thing new ICan contribute to this is get them now. Don’t wait until you realize you should have. Consider it a cost of the original purchase and you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a year on the OEM poly skid plates and they are excellent. I ride in very rocky areas in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. They are a must. I went with the poly ones because I didn’t want the pinging of rocks sounds off the metal ones and I have a 570 ans they don’t add a lot of weight.
Been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Which oned did you purchase.
I bought Iron Baltic plastic. You might be able to find some pictures from me on here from 1 year of use.

I don't abuse my ride, by I also don't hesitate to take it where the skids are used...every single trip I go on. I'm way more than satisfied with the quality of iron baltic plates. The only issue I have had with them is the dealer crying about after market skid plates and blah blah blah service time blah blah blah, we didn't finish the job because aftermarket parts blah blah blah but charged you full price.

Honestly between the three mentioned I think you can't go wrong; I mean, if you search around you won't find people complaining about their choice between iron baltic, richochet or can am fully skid plates...you will only find the typical competition of talking up one over the other, which means they are all great products imo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought Iron Baltic plastic. You might be able to find some pictures from me on here from 1 year of use.

I don't abuse my ride, by I also don't hesitate to take it where the skids are used...every single trip I go on. I'm way more than satisfied with the quality of iron baltic plates. The only issue I have had with them is the dealer crying about after market skid plates and blah blah blah service time blah blah blah, we didn't finish the job because aftermarket parts blah blah blah but charged you full price.

Honestly between the three mentioned I think you can't go wrong; I mean, if you search around you won't find people complaining about their choice between iron baltic, richochet or can am fully skid plates...you will only find the typical competition of talking up one over the other, which means they are all great products imo.
Thank you, very well siad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts