Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1st Can Am last year, a Outlander 4x4. I didn't get to ride much, as I messed up my back and was off work for a while. I have a total of 26 miles on it and 12 1/2 hours on it. I went to take to my dad's house for him to use for snow plowing. I noticed a large oil leak and also the Park/neutral indicator wasn't working, so I called for an appointment. The guy at my dealer told me none needed, just to drop off anytime. Well, needless to say, it's been there for 2 weeks now, and not one call from my dealer. I have called 3 times, and each time, it's either not been looked at, or the last time, which was a week ago wed, they told me a seal was ordered. That was a week ago, and still not heard a thing from them. Is it common for repairs to take 2-3 weeks or longer?? I work as an auto technician, and for me to put up with this, has gotten me really upset. Any suggestions on what I should do? :sad:

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
Try another dealer...is it a Platinum dealer you took it to?

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Yeah that sucks. Seems a lot of dealers are different with regards to service. I think a week or two is not unreasonable, depends on the problem. Some guys have reported MONTHS of waiting for back order parts. It seems your dealer needs to communicate with you better. Dealers get different ratings based on sales and service performance. The higher rated ones (mine has a Platinum rating, which I hear is really GOOD) sometimes get somewhat faster service from up the ladder. If I have ever had an issue I have talked to my dealer face to face and they have always fixed me up.

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
Another problem at this time of year is sleds getting prority over the Atvs. I had a seal go in my motor last spring. Had it back in two days.:smilietwocents:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Same here. The stealership has lots of work, and they refuse to hire more techs..., as long as they are making money, they dont care if you have to wait.

I had the gm of my dealer tell me that he did not care when they got my quad fixed - since I did not buy it there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Same here. The stealership has lots of work, and they refuse to hire more techs..., as long as they are making money, they dont care if you have to wait.

I had the gm of my dealer tell me that he did not care when they got my quad fixed - since I did not buy it there.
Thats kind of ignorant, the dealer I take mine to I never bought it from them. But they give me great service, which means when i by new quad or if lucky enough a new sled that's where i will go, not the closer dealer. Some dealerships have to realize that. Can understand taking longer for ATV in sled season, visia versa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I can say is, I've never heard of a business where you buy a product, spent thousands of dollars, and now, just because its winter, they can pretty much tell me-"oh, well, its snowmobile season, you have to wait".
I have worked as an ASE auto tech for the past 25 years, maybe the owner of the shop I took too will bring his truck to me, and I can just tell him, I will have it finished in about 2 months. Bet that wouldn't go well with him.
At this point, if that's the way service in the ATV business is, I am so glad I didn't but the extended warranty. I'll be happy to repair my quad myself.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I usually wait a week. If anything has to be ordered I get them to order it before I take my quad in. Ive yet to wait more then a week for anything on my quad, including winter work when sleds are in more then atvs.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Try another dealer...is it a Platinum dealer you took it to?
whats a platinum dealer?

Dealers get different ratings based on sales and service performance. The higher rated ones (mine has a Platinum rating, which I hear is really GOOD) sometimes get somewhat faster service from up the ladder. If I have ever had an issue I have talked to my dealer face to face and they have always fixed me up.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Only had one issue so far, and it was done in a total of six days. They kept me updated, told me when the part was coming in, and when it was done. I think the dealer you took it too is not the best choice IMO.. Hope they arent the only one.

Im an auto tech as well, and at our shop, if the customer is spending their own cash, then they will be taken care of as soon as possible. It shouldnt matter about sleds over bikes, a paying customer is a paying customer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They called me today and said my quad was finished. It was a total of 14 days since I had dropped off. My oil leak was repaired under warranty, but nothing had been done to my cluster issue of it not showing the H and L . At this point, I'm just happy to have back. I use for snow plowing this time of year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the dealer in town is very slow and not customer friendly at all. took almost 3 weeks for a faulty fuel pump, which he told me its a 4hr job.!?! and in the spring time i had rod end bearing fail so it was in the shop for 2-1/2 months under warranty thankfully still took em 2-3 weeks before they even looked at it...
and to boot when i got it back both my cvt intake and exhaust boots were loose had to tighten them up, very low on coolant, seemed to break almost every electrical clip i had, and they didnt route the gearbox breather line so the exhaust burnt thru it, also my winch wire for toggle switch got burnt from them not tying it up properly after... so im never going back to the brp dealer here.. never again
how do i find out about platinum dealers?

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
After doing a search I found this;
TRAILBLAZ'N POWER LTD
26.7 Km16.6 miles10516 ALASKA ROAD
FORT ST. JOHN
BC CA V1J 1B3
[Certified Dealer]
I have a feeling this is the dealer you are using and he is Platinum. Did you complain to them about the service?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There is another dealer in Dawson Creek that I have never been to so cant say much about their service. I bought a stock rim from the dealer in Cheytwnd on my way through one time and they dropped every thing and switched my tire over and everything in about 15 minutes I was back on the road. There is also Stojans in Grande prairie. I never bought my quad there but have always taken it there for warranty work. Most the time the service is quick and quality is good as well. The one time they took forever but as a good will gesture they gave me a loner for a while. I belive those are the closest dealers unless you end up in the PG area.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I may have been able to get a better deal in a couple of other towns, both within 30 mins of my house. But, I got a decent deal where I live, not the best of the three but very fair. I was told by my dealer, if I would have bought somewhere else and took it to him, i would definatly be at the END of the line for any work including warranty. just sayin

·
Registered
99 Posts
yep thats the dealer ha sure dont seem platinum at all more like corroded bronze lol. but yes i know of the dealer in dawson just heard some isssues with them too, chetwyn tho is the place im going to bring it from now on even tho its a 1-1/2 hr drive or else pg 4 1-2hrs away. or jsut do all work myself save me money

1 - 17 of 17 Posts