Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was thrilled the high idle ended up being a bad choke cable and that I was able to do this fix on my own at home.
My son drove it a little at night and then noticed smoke coming off the engine as if it was burning oil. Seemed to be coming off top of engine. Checked oil, it was full and clean. It seemed to have good power. Drove straight home and saw fluid all over the place. Smelled like burnt antifreeze.

Found that the plastic cover over the thermostat had melted a round hole in it. Of course at that point fluid was low. What makes that cover get so hot that it self destructs?

If I had a slow leak from my radiator would the engine get the rest of the fluid hot enough to boil or burn off and melt plastic??? I do believe earlier this season there were a few drips of green coming from one bottom corner of the radiator but I had checked fluid levels at the time and it was not low. Maybe it came out and I was unaware? IF radiator has a leak then this is like my 3rd radiator replacement.

We were driving at night in temps below 30F, the cooling fan was not on.

While I'm at it can someone tell me the ohm setting for the coolant temp sensor that goes in right next to the thermostat or another way to test it? I want to be sure that sensor is working while I have it out. I can check the open/closing of the actual thermostat on the stove. I'm thinking this is a 65C thermostat.

Why are these plastic covers? I see the china-men make aluminum 'upgrade' covers and sell them in sets of 2 for other can am models. But I would also think under normal conditions these plastic covers should not melt!!

Thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can we see some pics of the water neck? Im really having a hard time seeing that melt....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, can am outlander 400, 2006

Looking at the hole it looks almost like a slow melt process till the wall got so thin it made an oblong shaped hole. There then is a stress crack and there is another area just adjacent to the hole that is so thin that if you take a picture on a red background that shows through as red. So the plastic is thin enough to be 'see through' but is not yet perforated. Strange, almost like heat got to the outside of the plastic too?

In this marked up picture, the blue lines are around a very tiny stress crack in the plastic that bridges the two 'holes' The red dashed line shows the thin area where you can see light through but there is still a bit of plastic left.

Thermostat cover 4.JPG

Thermostat cover 3.jpg
Thermostat cover 2.jpg
Thermostat cover 1.JPG

Is there a ohm setting for the engine coolant temp sensor across the 2 blades?

·
Registered
886 Posts
No way that melted. A 14 year old machine im betting it just cracked and let go.. could have been damaged for years

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O ring? You mean the O ring seal that goes around the thermostat itself? I didn't pull the thermostat out yet but the rubber ring around it seems OK. I can check it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I take it no one has had to swap out the plastic waterneck for a metal one, or that they have had to test or replace the temp probe that mounts next to the thermostat?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, parts came. I was able to reinstall a new plastic water neck/thermostat cover. My old radiator indeed had a small leak near the bottom so I wrestled it out and swapped the fan and radiator temp sensor into a new 'used' radiator that came from an online ATV/snowmobile parts reseller. It was a bit of a gamble but fortunately it came in very good condition, straight fins and very clean. Got everything plugged in and plumbed and coolant refilled.

This rig has been nickel and diming me pretty good in the last year, but they are all more or less 'maintenance' parts that wear and tear over time. I now have new CV axles 3 positions, new brakes and rotors, new rear prop shaft, 2 new front bearings, diff fluid changes front and back, and new tires and oh, a new choke cable...

Time to powerwash all the coolant that is stuck to the engine. Change oil again, bleed rear brake line as that foot pedal which never gets used is not really grabbing after the rear brake was changed, and watch for that pesky bottom end oil leak.

Plastics are in pretty rough shape. I did buy some of those push closed body clips and anywhere I could I replaced those.

Need to order some type of easy release strap for my manual snow plow. What do you suggest? My strap has a spring tension clasp and spring is getting loose and won't hold the plow in the up position anymore. So far only had to plow the driveway once which is highly unusual in the lake effect snowbelt here in west MI.

My 7th grader is happy to be tooling around again over to his buddy's house through the woods. All things recreational are bringing a huge premium due to COVID shortage and nothing being available in the used market. My brother encourages me to sell it while I can get top dollar and before something else gives way on it. I can see his point but nothing used available to replace it wtih either.

After all the wrenching would just like to see it pay me back a little bit first...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It all depends on what youre into...

I know guys thatll do whatever a bike needs, then sell it and move on to their next project while its tip top...
I do it more for -me- because I plan on keeping it if its worthy.
I went thru mine front to back and have been hammering it adding mods and customizations as needed as I spend more time on it and Ive really had -0- issues that would make me sell it and move on to something else.
I dont mind wrenching and if you 4wheel hard, things are going to break etc.
That said, this can am has been bulletproof taking everything Ive thrown at it.
I dont mind fixing things but if the same things keep breaking or something breaks like every other ride it really becomes too much of a pita for me and I'll dump it in a heartbeat and move on to something hopefully more dependable that can handle the abuse.

If you didnt go into it planning on flipping it then dont listen to guys like your brother.
My older bro did the same when I was going thru mine.
Give it a chance after everythings good to go and I dont think you will be disappointed ;)
Your investment in time and effort and money will be worth it Im sure.

Ive scored a LOT of parts for my '07 by pulling the part number and then looking it up on ebay. There are quite a few shops out there sitting on nos if you can find them.

My parts guy down at the dealer has a brp/can am place that he can call. They buy up nos, then sell thru dealers, anything I cant find hes been able to locate for me so really no probs finding parts here.

One of the 1st things I noticed that HAD to go when I got it home and started giving it a good look was....all that plastic CRAP on my engine!
Thermostat housing was already leaking around the bleeder screw, I developed an oil seep at the valve cover after only a couple of test rides...
Dump that plastic crap and get a hold of mr rpm and install their aluminum replacements and never think about either part again.

Reactions: LazyBoyBob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like it was a bit abused with quick fixes before you got it. Now that you took on the pita and have it mostly sorted someone will be lucky to grab it.

If you are buying new and moving on that's one thing but if you are going used you will probably be sorting someone else's project again.

I have mulled doing the same thing with my 04. It's been a great machine even though I abused it with neglect.

The main concern is finding parts. I feel like there are still enough around or other options to use different year parts to keep on with it. One thing to consider is a maintained older quad can bring lots of money for parts. Much more than the quad is worth. Again it's a double edge sword but really financially if your willing to part it out you will do well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Sounds like it was a bit abused with quick fixes before you got it. Now that you took on the pita and have it mostly sorted someone will be lucky to grab it.

If you are buying new and moving on that's one thing but if you are going used you will probably be sorting someone else's project again.

I have mulled doing the same thing with my 04. It's been a great machine even though I abused it with neglect.

The main concern is finding parts. I feel like there are still enough around or other options to use different year parts to keep on with it. One thing to consider is a maintained older quad can bring lots of money for parts. Much more than the quad is worth. Again it's a double edge sword but really financially if your willing to part it out you will do well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I agree
Id much rather buy something the po at least tried to maintain or something thats just been sitting around forever.
I pass on abused, not maintained and/or no paperwork deals, theres just so much more out there I wont take on that type of bs project personally.
My buddies and brothers love grabbing my "old" stuff when I move on because its usually better than new and customized/modified already but for whatever reason its not working for me even tho its awesome.

Any older machine is going to need a good go thru so a guy starts with a good to go platform to begin with.
Even a new one will be a project for most of us because -mods-
All depends on what youre after.
I think these are worth it because the 400 platform works great for me and the unexpected awesomeness was a nice bonus!
Its a keeper.
Great job on everything youve done so far knibbeje, whether you keep it or not you have the satisfaction a lot of guys miss out on by doing the best you can do to get it and keep it tip top (y)

Reactions: LazyBoyBob
1 - 14 of 14 Posts