Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Outlander 650 XTP. The other day I had the coolant boiling over. I thought the cooling fan was not kicking on. I jumped power to the fan and it worked fine. I moved to the fan relay and jumped the relay. I must have read the pins wrong and I think I must have jumped 12V to the ECM and smoked it. I know have no gage or lights with the key on and it will not start. I can hear some relays clicking and the fuel pump comes on but that is it. I feel like a moron. My questions are: How can I make 100% sure it is a ECM? What parts will I need to repair it (ECM, Key, Ignition)? Can I install it myself or does it need to be programed or something? I appreciate any help. I am in it deep with the wife.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Oh crap......

It is a "2-step" dance of sorts, to fire these things up. Ignition switch powers up the fuel pump, I believe, but the ECM has to recognize the key to authorize spark. There should be a service manual at files.brptuning.ru - /Bombardier/Manuals/ATV/ that would help in confirming your suspicions. I'd usually say "there are fuses/relays that safeguard against such outcomes", but it sounds like you were bypassing 'em. Hope I'm wrong....

You can purchase and replace the ECM all by yourself, but you'll have to bring the bike in to your local dealer to have them program it to your key. Ignition switch is just a simple switch, it doesn't have anything to do with the DESS.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Seems more likely a fuse, relay or diode would blow up before anything else. There are also 2 big fuses at the back of the bike to the right of the battery, under a small black plastic cover. Can swap over relays if they look the same, to see if anything changes. Youtube will show how to check a relay. Just saying, i wouldn't rush off and buy a new ECM and hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still trying to find the right PDF. The ones I have looked at do not show the right ECM. I have checked all relays and fuses. I am almost sure that it is not any of that. Do you know if I can pull an ECM, key, and ignition off of a used one and install it into mine?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you can get your hands on a paired ECM and key, that should confirm your suspicions. No need to bother the ignition switch, just need the ECM and its corresponding DESS key.

Might still need a visit to the dealer for the cluster, but don't quote me on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts