Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had my first hard ride on the 28 outlaw 2s on my 1000. While I had it in the thick and in 4 high I could smell the belt, in 4 low it was good. Any suggestions? Also I want to go ahead and get a spare belt, is any one better than the other.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You smelled belt bc those tires are heavy. Aftermarket clutches help with the heavier mud tires. Prevents belt slippage.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You shouldn't be in high when your in anything other than hard roads or trails.. OL2's are heavy tires, the clutches on these bikes aren't the greatest design anyway.. 1k power+heavy tires+no clutch mods=toasted belts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
As said, low gear ALL the time for situations like mud or any low speed driving. A clutch kit will help a lot with the high gear belt slip too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
High gear is for roads and high speed trails.

You want to be in low most of the time, all the of the time when your speed is under 25mph.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Like the others said; keep it in low. You will be amazed how fast you can go in low and still be nowhere near max rpm. I often leave mine in low unless I am running for a longer period above 30 mph.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Yep low only when in mud. And on these Can Ams, especially the 1000s, you can't ease into the throttle. Punch it to get the clutch engaged or you may slip the belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts