Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fellas wear snake proof boots while riding ?
I ride where there are buzztails and am thinking it would be a good idea if I started wearing them.
They would need to be breathable yet water resistant. ( not necessarily water"proof" ).
Curious to see what brand & style are being used as I see they're anywhere from about 120 USD as high as 300 bucks .
I'd prefer the pull-on rather than the lace-up ones .
Thanks ahead of time for any input .
-Bonz

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I wear rubber snake boots all the time especially during the spring, summer and fall rides. I wear them with shorts on warm days. The two best rubber snake boot brands that I’ve found are Lacrosse and Muck snake boots. I wear the Lacrosse boots bc they went up on my leg a little higher than the Muck boots did....but you can’t go wrong with either brand..

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Another thing to think about is boots with a zipper on the side. I would stay away from those, because the zipper gets mud and other things in it which means they won’t zipper or unzip....as far as breathable goes, my feet sweat but not terribly in my my lacrosse snake boots. Nothing out of the ordinary...another thing to think about is, just getting snake proof gaiters and wearing those with your boots of your choice..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the zippers are no good for sure .
I'll keep poking around .
Thank you for the input !

·
Registered
434 Posts
i don't live in the south so i don't have to worry about snakes. Didn't know you guys down south had to worry about those things while riding! Or is it more for when you stop and need to 'use a tree'??

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not in the south .
I ride in north western PA .
And we do alot of clearing and scouting on foot so I want to be prepared.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I thought snakes are everywhere, especially in the summer

·
Registered
434 Posts
I thought snakes are everywhere, especially in the summer
they are, but in michigan there is only one rattlesnake, and it's so uncommon that no one even thinks about it. Heck i'm 36 and i've only ever seen one! Most never see one

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in south east Michigan and we have a fairly strong population of rattlesnakes. There is a metro park and nature center here and they track their rattle snake population. I’ve come across them on the hiking trail and they tend to scatter before you get very close ( not that I’d get close). I saw two women on the paved bike trail here try to pick up a baby rattler that had been hurt by a bike..... it wasn’t having any part of them helping!

That said, I’ve never worried about snakes when riding in Michigan. Look where you step and where you pee.......I worry a lot more about the mean snakes on the lakes in KY!! They will cuddle up in your boat cover or on the warm dock and are not afraid of you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I live in south east Michigan and we have a fairly strong population of rattlesnakes. There is a metro park and nature center here and they track their rattle snake population. I’ve come across them on the hiking trail and they tend to scatter before you get very close ( not that I’d get close). I saw two women on the paved bike trail here try to pick up a baby rattler that had been hurt by a bike..... it wasn’t having any part of them helping!

That said, I’ve never worried about snakes when riding in Michigan. Look where you step and where you pee.......I worry a lot more about the mean snakes on the lakes in KY!! They will cuddle up in your boat cover or on the warm dock and are not afraid of you.
that's crazy.. the only one i've seen was when i was like 8 and a bunch of neighborhood kids ran it over a bike as well, and then when we were poking it with a stick a car came and got it. I'm in the woods in northern michigan fairly often and I have never even thought about coming across one. That's cool they have a population in your area.

I also agree on not messing with the ones in the south. I haven't been down there enough to even cross paths with them, but i'm ok with that lol.

When i was in college and worked at a summer camp in PA the maintenance guy had to take care of one big rattler that refused to leave the bike path, and another time i had to use my lacrosse stick to scoop up a baby and dump it in a bucket to be taken care of as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts