Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Good people, I was recently on a quad ride here in NZ and was running through wetlands (farmlands, marshes and ponds)

I thought I could hear belt slippage with higher than normal revs and lower speed.

Am I best changing the CV belt - snorkelling or both?

The picture below is not me but one of the unfortunates who got stuck on slippery ground and we told him he needed the extra weight of a dead deer hind on his quad....Not Impressed! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would do both, adding a properly installed snorkel is great insurance even if you dont plan on taking it very deep, i live in high desert and rarely run into deep water but when i do im sure glad i know my bike is safe, as for the slippage, id just change it for the peace of mind, or at least carry a second one if it ever goes out on the trail

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,547 Posts
Mason, I'd like to think you'd know if you were deep enough to accidentally allow water back into the belt box via the outlet snorkel, so I'm guessing your belt is probably just near the end of its service life and in need of a change.

Snorkeling the bike is absolutely a smart play from an "insurance" viewpoint, but depending on riding style and terrain, maybe not necessary for all of us.

Reactions: noaddedfluff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would do both, adding a properly installed snorkel is great insurance even if you dont plan on taking it very deep, i live in high desert and rarely run into deep water but when i do im sure glad i know my bike is safe, as for the slippage, id just change it for the peace of mind, or at least carry a second one if it ever goes out on the trail

Thanks sounds like reasonable logic to me. 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mason, I'd like to think you'd know if you were deep enough to accidentally allow water back into the belt box via the outlet snorkel, so I'm guessing your belt is probably just near the end of its service life and in need of a change.

Snorkeling the bike is absolutely a smart play from an "insurance" viewpoint, but depending on riding style and terrain, maybe not necessary for all of us.
Thanks, generally I'm pretty careful to avoid "drowning" my renegade... After watching a fellow rider do it.
Typically we are farm trails mixed with forestry tracks and random mud holes as a result.
Sounds like the logic pathway is upgrade the belt and snorkel as time/$ allow.

Appreciate the feedback.

I have already upgraded by relocating the radiator, heavier rear rack and bumper... tried a 2" lift kit for better ground clearance... This will be a logical improvement too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out the high lifter snorkel kit, super easy to install and wont break the bank like the factory kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts