Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull a truck out of a ditch a few weeks back and all I had in my truck was a ratchet strap, it worked but I wish I had something a little more suited for the task at hand. I talked to my amsteel Rope supplier and heres what he sent me, this bad boy will be tucked away in my truck from now on.

7/8 in x 20' Kinetic Recovery Ropes
Kinetic Recovery Tow Ropes are THE tool to use when towing stuck vehicles. Utilize the kinetic energy of the tow vehicle to apply more extraction power to the stuck vehicle without cringe inducing jolts. Other tow equipment like chains or standard tow straps can transmit unnecessary, damaging impact forces to both vehicles if used with any sort of a running start. Our Double Braid Nylon material provides up to 30% elongation during use, which translates into lower impact but higher energy transfer to the stuck vehicle. It just works better in most situations than any other option out there.

Perfectly Suited For Low Traction Situations
Made From Extremely Durable, Shock Absorbing Double Braid Nylon
Heavy Duty Cordura Abrasion Protection In Both Eyes And A Slider Section In Between
Marine Grade Coating For UV and Abrasion Resistance
Made In USA

Application Guidelines:
7/8": Suitable for use with most mid-sized off-road vehicles - MBL 28,300

This rope comes with a completed loop on each end with a chafe sleeve/guard, as well as a length of the same chafe sleeve/guard material that can be positioned anywhere on the rope just in case you have to pull out a vehicle with the rope draped over an obstacle.

$79.00 plus shipping

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MBL is Maximum Breaking Load, so I am assuming anything lower would be safe. I have never seen a truck weigh that much, my 3/4 ton Duramax with 28' enclosed trailer, a RZR, an 850XP, a 500HO, 3 people in the truck and all of our gear weighed in at around 16000 lbs, so even if that needed to be pulled, this rope would have been sufficient ;)

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I've broken a 12,000 Lbs RATED tow strap with a 1/2 ton pulling out a 1/2 ton. If you jerk it, (which is why you use a strap in the first place) you need to have a lot more RATED strength.
I refuse to buy light straps anymore, I just buy the heavy ones that are rated for more than I need (heck I forget the exact numbers). Then If I jerk them I don';t even wonder.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've broken a 12,000 Lbs RATED tow strap with a 1/2 ton pulling out a 1/2 ton. If you jerk it, (which is why you use a strap in the first place) you need to have a lot more RATED strength.
I refuse to buy light straps anymore, I just buy the heavy ones that are rated for more than I need (heck I forget the exact numbers). Then If I jerk them I don';t even wonder.
These Kinetic ropes are designed to use a jerking pull when pulling out a "stuck" truck. They stretch and the stretch builds up the kinetic energy to get the stuck vehicle moving.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was curious because truck round these parts are a bit different as they are work trucks. My one ton is around 12,000lbs now, 5500kg so i think a tow strap maybe should be three times rated? I been wanting one as i have pulled three people out this winter.

Worst ive seen is the tow package being bent over 4 inches from tugging lol. Also been thinking about building a winch bumper for my f 350.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts