Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark Plugs... Mechs please take a look

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Deadman 
#1 ·
Okay so a little background first... 2014 Can Am XMR 650. It has 160 miles now... the first 100 miles were with stock exhaust and the last 60 was running the looney tuned slip on. i have attached pictures of the spark plugs to get opinions on how they look, whether they are rich or lean. I think they look a little rich but otherwise good. I am posting to ad to the big debate on whether a tune is needed for a slip-on (This of course I decided NO tune after talking in length with VForceJohn). Opinions are greatly appreciated in Advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
im not a mechanic but iv been messin with pipes and tuners a bit and in my research with just a slip on you r in most cases not in need of a tuner,,BUT if u add the aftermarket air filter its almost in all cases a nessesity,,,your plugs look pretty good imo, I see a little grey at the very tip maybe indicating running a tad lean but definatly not enough to worry,,hows it running from 0 to 100% throttle,,do u notice any blips ,,let me know how u make out as I just bought a 2015 650 xmr Friday and im debating on putiing a pipe on

#3 ·
Thanks for the input Nate... i am still running the stock air filter and she ran great... no stutter, no backfire, or blips and that was zero to full throttle, cruising in high and in low. I was a little hesitant but feel better now looking at the plugs.

#4 ·
ya now that youv said its running clean through the whole throttle band and seeing your plugs also I definatly think your fine,,but it doesnt hurt to get more opinions,,if u don't mind could u pm me or just give a review on your LTE,like I said,i just bought a 650 xmr 3 days ago and I looking into a pipe and have always run HMF and want something different

#5 ·
I'll go ahead and give my opinion on the LTE pipe I have. I love it! I love the sounds, it has held up great and it's very easy to service unlike the HmF. Can't go wrong in my opinion.

#6 ·
Those plugs look perfect. Not seeing any grey/whitish color which would indicate lean and they don't have any carbon build up or a heavy black coating on it to indicate a rich condition. I say your probably close to where you want to be in terms of tuning.

#8 ·
Reading plugs is a science. And with todays fuels it makes reading them even harder. Those plugs were run at varying throttle ranges so it doesn't say much. The bike could be lean low/ mid / top , who knows. Best way is with an O2 sensor and an AFR gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.